[Unixcert] Unix/Linux Certification List

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Jul 24 17:54:07 UTC 2012

The mass mailing/carbon copying everyone worked for a while. But, we've
grown large enough that we needed a list to manage.

I have created a new email list:  unixcert at lists.noisebridge.net

It's a group mailing list so that we don't have to remember everyone's
email address. Send an email to unixcert at lists.noisebridge.net and it will
go to members who are in this class or have been in past classes.

Because previous email management meant that I was adding/removing email
addresses manually. I'm certain that I accidentally left someone on the
list that wanted off. I'm also certain that I ended up using a work address
instead of a personal address (or a personal address instead of a work
address, etc.) by mistake.

So, if you received this on the wrong email address, please let me know and
I'll take care of it immediately. If you want off the list, also let me
know and I'll remove you immediately.

An update of our progress for the Unix/Linux Security class:

* We did have someone show up on the first week. He wasn't in the class,
showed up for our group, and we helped him install John the Ripper and do
basically the same work that our first lab entailed. He then signed up for
class and has joined us.

* This past week, we had two people show up (even though I thought everyone
finished the lab and no one would show). We fixed a few problems. And, to
the best of my knowledge, everyone has gotten lab1 finished. We also had a
fun discussion about how Linux boots (from BIOS to full runlevel).

Also, please note that Homework #2 looks like it's posted. It is not due
this Wed, but it is available if we need it. There is also new reading.
Although it may not be required, it probably wouldn't hurt to read the
chapters before class. I'm going to as I found several gems in the first
reading that I didn't know. I never understood how to read password hashes
to know how to parse them on the $ boundaries. I'm learning quite a bit
already, actually. I think I will greatly enjoy this class; I hope everyone
else does too.

Cheers,

Glen
--

"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,

--Henry David Thoreau