[Unixcert] Next steps: Remove from list or LPI?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Sep 16 04:39:15 UTC 2012

During our celebrations, we discussed what our next steps would be. We have
decided to get our LPI certification. Some of you will join us on that
adventure. Others, will probably move on.

For those who are ready to move on, it has been a great adventure thus far
and I had a great time knowing you. Please let me know so that I can remove
you from this list (unless you still want to stay on). And, please do feel
free to keep in touch.

There are a few people who were put on this list and who I have never
communicated with. They are probably not interested and, most probably,
aren't even reading this email. Those names will be removed from this list.
If you want to be certain that you stay on this list, please send an email
to confirm. If you wish to study LPI with us, please confirm that as well.

For those who don't know what LPI is, it's a Linux distro-agnostic
certification company (The Linux Professional Institute).  There are three
levels of certification -- and there are eight tests total:

LPIC-1: Junior Level Linux Certification
        Exam: LPI 101
        Exam: LPI 102
LPIC-2: Advanced Linux Level Certification
        Exam: LPI 201
        Exam: LPI 202
LPIC-3: Senior Level Linux Certification
        Exam: LPI 301
        Exam: LPI 302
        Exam: LPI 303
        Exam: LPI 304

We believe that our Berkeley Certification Work has at least qualified us
for the Junior Level Linux Certification and probably most of the Advanced
Linux Level Certification. We also believe we have qualified for at least
some of the senior level certification (for example; Exam 303 is Security
based and we may pass that exam now).

Our Short Term and Medium Term Goals are listed below. And, following that
is a pool of questions that we have generated ourselves when reviewing the
material. Please contribute questions for your peers to help them assess
their knowledge in this area. our immediate short term and medium term
goals are below. However, some of us will want to finish all certification
levels (at least eventually).

Short Term Goal

    All members of our study group Pass Exam LPI 101

Medium Term Goal

    All members of our study group obtain Junior Level Linux Certification

You do not need to do this as a group. However, there are advantages of
studying together. It will help motivate us; help us when we get stuck; and
we can help create a question pool from our understanding of the material.
This question pool can be used by all in our group to help us self-evaluate
if we're ready for the test.

To help us motivate each other, I have created a Google Doc. It contains a
chart of our current progress so we can see how we're doing against others
(and we can get a good swift kick to keep us motivated when we see others
in our group are making progress).

This document also contains a question pool. I have included two such
questions below. If you are interested in this Google Doc, please contact
me off list so that I can invite you to the document (don't forget this is
a publicly searchable email list).
* Sample Exam Questions 101.1.1 Random Access Memory (RAM) is:

   1. volatile
   2. explosive
   3. non-volatile
   4. All of the above

101.1.2 BIOS stands for:

   1. Beginner Instruction-set for Operating Systems
   2. Basic Input Output System
   3. Better Integrated Operating System
   4. None of the above

*
Cheers,

Glen
--

"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,

--Henry David Thoreau