[Noisebridge WebDev] Re(2): Frontend Web Development, Monday 8pm: CSS selectors and the box model

Daniel Wolden danielwolden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 00:27:35 UTC 2012

I would think that the nature of this class, and the space it's taught in,
it would be better if we found, as a group, solutions together. I'm kinda
easy, if using Chrome is a solution, I don't look any further, but explain
the issue to me, and I would love to help find a solution. I think the
whole class helping find a solution would follow the spirit of DIY and
Nosiebridge than putting it all on the teacher.

And I should point out, I don't think anyone is doing anything WRONG, I'm
just a big fan of collaboration.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Aaronco Thirtysix <aaronco36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Re: Decent Firefox/Iceweasel web-element inspection add-ons besides
> Firebug for WebDev students.
>
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Jeffrey Carl Faden
> <jeffreyatw at gmail.com> explained:
> > The unfortunate fact is, Firebug just isn't as easy to use as Chrome's
> Developer Tools. For example, there is no way I know of to bring a
> JavaScript console up regardless of what tab you're in - a feature that I
> find invaluable in day-to-day work. And having a separate CSS tab, as we
> saw in the last lecture, is baffling to me.
> >
> > Fortunately, Chrome can be installed anywhere. If there is a concern
> with its closed-source components, Chromium - the open source project on
> which Chrome is based - can be installed instead.
>
> ===> OTOH, a good case can be made that WebDev students (if not their
> instructors) should use the best software tools available for the
> platforms such students are actually and already using.  In practice,
> this may mean NOT using a one-size fits-all approach of relying upon a
> particular HW architecture (Mac vs. PC), a particular PC OS (Windows
> vs. Linux vs BSD), or a particular browser within that particular OS
> (Chrome/Chromium vs. Firefox/Iceweasel vs. Opera).
>
> Another aspect well worth considering here is the increasing
> development and competition between platforms. In the case of
> competitive OS's in past years, there was and perhaps still is a
> common perception that if a piece of hardware would work in Linux,
> then it would certainly without question work in MS Windows. Due
> primarily to Microsoft's request to hardware device manufacturers
> (OEMs) that the latter use proprietary device drivers for Windows
> OS's, it could not always be accurately said that a piece of hardware
> working in Windows would necessarily work correctly using the Linux
> kernel or using various Linux distributions' add-on modules.
>
> I think a closely similar concept applies today in the competition
> between browsers and their tools; here, Google's products (Chrome,
> Chromium) vs. the Mozilla Foundation's (Firefox and its add-ons).
> Since Google naturally wishes to grab market and browser-usage share
> from Firefox/Iceweasel, I think it's entirely fair to claim that if
> there are good features and tools of Firefox/Iceweasel available to
> both end-users and developers, then there is certainly no question
> that Google has already made available similar or even "better"
> features and tools for ITS own browsers.  It is my hope that the
> reverse holds true as well here; if Google has good features and tools
> available for both end-users and developers, then there should be
> little question that the Mozilla Foundation has already made available
> (or will make available from third party devs) similar or even
> "better" features and tools/add-ons for Firefox/Iceweasel.
>
> Hence my roundabout suggestion to find good element-inspection tools
> specifically for the very popular Firefox/Iceweasel _besides_ the
> [...]

http://about.me/danielwolden

Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to
be serious when people laugh.
George Bernard Shaw