[Noisebridge WebDev] Fwd: [Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 1/21: Catch Up Day: An Introduction to Rails Programming

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:39:17 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sameer Siruguri <sameer at railsschool.org>
Date: Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Subject: [Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 1/21: Catch Up Day: An
Introduction to Rails Programming
To: Noisebridge <noisebridge-announce at lists.noisebridge.net>

  Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at 7pm on January 21, 2014
 Catch Up Day: An Introduction to Rails Programming

This is an opportunity for new students to get a jumpstart on learning the
Rails framework, following along with the basics of the Getting Started
Guide (links in description).

The goal of the class is to introduce the basic ideas of the Rails
framework, presenting a distilled summary of the Getting Started
Guide<http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html>.
You are welcome to read the course
material<http://sameer.siruguri.net/railsschool-rails/course_content/>ahead
of the class; it also has pointers to more advanced topics that you
can start exploring on your own if you like.
Pre-Requisites

We will assume no familiarity with the Rails framework, but will assume you
understand programming concepts like data and object-oriented programming,
and that you are comfortable with Ruby concepts and syntax. This material
is covered in our Ruby Beginners Level 1
class<http://siruguri.net/courses/railsschool-ruby-beginner-level2/>and
we recommend you read that before this class.

The code we'll discuss is also available on
Github<http://www.github.com/siruguri/railsschool-catchup-rails>
.
Installing Ruby and Rails

Before class, install Ruby and Rails on your system, getting as far as you
can following these instructions:

   - How should I prepare for my first Ruby
lesson?<http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Ruby_lesson>
   - How should I prepare for my first Rails
lesson?<http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Rails_lesson>

The course material also summarizes these steps. We will try to help you
out with any installation problems you have, if it doesn't significantly
slow down class.

If you have any questions about the material or suggestions for what to
cover in the class, feel free to email us at team [at]
railsschool.orgbefore the class.

 RSVP here: Catch Up Day: An Introduction to Rails
Programming<http://www.railsschool.org/l/catchup-day-introduction-to-rails-programming-nov-05>

 May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, www.railsschool.org