[Noisebridge WebDev] Front-end Web Development, Monday 8pm: React

Jeffrey Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 01:08:32 UTC 2016

React (https://facebook.github.io/react/) is a JavaScript UI library that's skyrocketing in popularity. On Monday, we'll take the NoiseTwitter app we've made in jQuery and Angular (https://github.com/JeffreyATW/fwd/tree/master/series10/class7) and do it again in React, with the help of Create React App (https://github.com/facebookincubator/create-react-app) which will propel us into a modern JavaScript development environment. This class is an intro on just plain React in the DOM, but the next class will add in additional libraries like Redux, Normalizr, and possibly Reselect.
To prepare, make sure you have the current version ("Latest Features") of Node.js installed: https://nodejs.org/
If you can't make it to the lecture, you can watch a live video stream of the class:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Wd6zf7r3cThis video stream will also be available to watch after the class is complete.
--- The usual details follow ---
Learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript - and put them to good use! This weekly lecture series, taught by Jeffrey Carl Faden, is aimed at complete beginners who are interested in making websites, as well as seasoned professionals looking to brush up on the latest and greatest.
Front-end web development is all about making code that runs in the browser (versus code that runs on the server). This class focuses on writing interactive web applications, taking designs and turning them into code, and much more.
The class starts on Monday at 8pm, and goes until 10pm! Plan to arrive EARLY, as the class can fill up very fast. We will have a recap of last week's material starting at 7:30pm. If you're either new, couldn't make last week's class or you simply need a refresher, come early and we'll go through a simple tutorial.
This class does go in a series, but the series can last up to half a year. Don't let it discourage you if you're starting from the middle - attend recaps and labs and you should be able to catch up!
This class and the space in which it's taught are entirely free to attend. Please bring a laptop. Read all of the details here:https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Front-end_Web_Development
Jeffrey