ZinesFromOuterSpace Miloh's ideas + post from the ZiPVault

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:09:58 UTC 2012

Miloh + everyone else,

Below I've pasted something I originally posted to the zine wiki page for
ZiP back in the good old days (this past December - 2 months ago *sigh*)
that shows my original brainstorm of different sections for the the zine
(back before it had a name), along with a list of zine names I came up
with. A lot of them are pretty good and will be probably be used for
spin-off zines.

Tony will be @ 2169Mish Wednesday night in the temporal vicinity of 8 to
10pm for an informal Zine Planning & Brainstorm Session. It may take place
in the Hackitorium, the Cafe, the Turing Classroom - we make it up as we go
along.

By the way, the zine-in-progress received its first report card today and
scored an overall grade of C++. We're just getting started, you know.

I have brainstormed a whole list of possible names for the currently
nameless publication. Here are some of the best. Which ones do you like? Do
you like all of them? Do you like any of them? Do you have other
suggestions?

WordBridge

Cyberballast

Scatterplot

NoiseRag

Unbearable Complexity

Polymath

Pissing Rainbows Quarterly (PRQ)

Common Unicorn

Fish and Microchips (FAM)

Words Take Forever (WTF)

Silicon Travesty

Noise in Print (NIP)

White Noise Weekly (WNW)

PaperBridge

Orion's Bracelet

Non-Consensual Hallucination (NCH)

Macrozinetic

Obverse Polarity

Digital Calamity

Twenty-one Sixty-nine

10101 1000101

Binary Profusion

Vegetarian Geometry

Metagogy

Proxy Music Express (PME)

Unabridged Rainbow League (URL)

Hypertext Reader

Queer Encryption

Inkjet Jaguar*

Crash Report

Autoscroll

The Family Circuit

Byte-sized Peace

Warp Factor Zero (WFZ)

Android Army Atlas (AAA)

Tertiary Kiosk

Pop Up Blocker (PUB)

Console
Jelly

News of Tomorrow (NOT)

*Japanese monster movie reference

Danny suggested we have two different zines, one online and one in print. I
thought the print version would probably be a digest or compilation of the
best cuts from the online zine.

Right now the zine-in-progress is bloggish and disorderly. I would like to
impose some organization upon it. I brainstormed the following list of
departments or sections. Additions? Anyone want to cover one of these? Some
are already covered, some loosely so, some not at all.

'''The Imagination Box''' (Flights of fantasy, unclassifiable, trampolinear
thinking)

'''But Seriously''' (a safe space for sincerity & honesty, iron-free zone,
geeks and depression, etc)

'''Politics''' (Occupy Wall Street, Arab Spring, shrill humorless rants,
etc)

'''Technology''' (Software, Hardware, circuit hacking, lasers, etc etc -
the meat & potatoes of hacking)

'''News''' (micro, macro, local, global)

'''Calendar''' (for NoiseBridge, hacker events, related community events)

'''TasteBridge''' (Recipes, mushroom info, microbrewing, dinners, etc)

'''Academia''' (classes being taught, Corvid College, SF Free School, etc)

'''Fake Advertising''' (I picture a Fake Advertising Department desk in
Hacker Alley where the staff Photoshops fake ads for the zine, makes prank
phone calls to businesses, & otherwise parodies & subverts the duties of a
typical newspaper advertising department)

'''Culture / Literary Conceits''' (Creative Writing, number poems, haikus
about hacking, book & film reviews, etc)

'''Games''' (board games, RPGs, Xbox, Sega, Halo, Go, DND, w/e)

'''Discuss / Debate / Disparage'''

'''Letters / Mail'''

'''Satire / Humor / Fun''' (No politics, not PC)

'''Crafts / Home Improvement''' (sewing, wood shop, upcycling, etc)

'''Photography / Film / Audio'''

'''Diversity / Anti-Oppression / Inclusiveness'''

'''Community / Society Gossip / Bulletin Board'''

By the way, I was thinking we need a fabulous secretary like Karen from
Will & Grace to sit in the entrance area & welcome visitors - except our
secretary would be looking through tech mags instead of fashion ones, &
maybe she'd be part cyborg or something. Always with a martini glass.