ZinesFromOuterSpace promo + depression = yuck

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:49:04 UTC 2012

Yo

Sending a little update to the zinelisters + a few other
Noisebridge-related personnel who I hope won't mind (some people get super
touchy about email -- some people never even read them -- personally I
don't ever get too bent out of shape over it -- I can't keep track)

I'm feeling really discouraged right now. 5MoF @ Noisebridge the other
night felt like a grim disillusionment for me. Lots of negative
interactions and a general feeling I had that no one is friendly and I
don't belong there any more. I went home ready to throw in the towel and be
done with ZiP. If it does continue it's probably going to move away from
being an explicitly Noisebridge-related project, although there will still
be connections. I could go into all the reasons, but basically it just
comes down to the post-project-completion depression and the feeling that
an insane amount of work is going down the drain, and I can't do it again.
I'm doing a solo zine now about my first squat. It should be simple & easy
& cheap to print comparatively.

I'm sending a review copy of *ZiP* to Last Gasp in hopes that they will
purchase the remaining copies for sale. Otherwise we should probably just
give them away to people in the space who want them.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this -- above all Miloh.

I hope everyone will do what they can to represent ZiP01 and promote it.
Here's a nice little ZiP-in-a-nutshell I wrote that you can use when
promoting ZiP online or to friends. Feel free to customize as you wish.
*
**ZiP01 NEW "MEGAZINE" FOR HACKERS NOW ONLINE AND IN PRINT**

What ZiP is

**ZiP: Zine in Progress** *is a fully autonomated, frequently festive,
hacker-friendly, highly mutable, quasi-quarterly polyzine. That is, ZiP is
a new independently produced periodical for hackers, zinesters and
beautiful freaks of all flavors published every three months and based in
San Francisco. It launched its first issue, ZiP01, on Valentine's Day, 2012.
*
Why you might want to read ZiP*

It is inspired by and focused on Noisebridge
hackerspace<https://noisebridge.net/>(
https://noisebridge.net) and describes many of the places and people you
may know, but perhaps from a different angle than you're used to. About a
dozen people contributed to it in one way or another. It has weird
interesting surrealistic digital art. It has interesting articles on
subjects that may appeal to hackers of all varieties, from gamers to coders
to amateur cooks to experimental mycologists to zinesters and Sci/Fi
fantasy geeks. It has humor (lots). It features front and back covers + 6
additional pages printed in full color. It is 60 pages of hackadelic,
polyzinetic, noisebridgenius delight. This is a high-end, well-designed,
innovative MegaZine -- and we've only just begun

*Some things included in ZiP01*

New Year's Resolutionaries -- SLAG: Skate Like a Girl -- Feature: Report
from 28c3 / Letters From Berlin -- Great Names in Hackerdom (Turing,
Church, Hopper) -- Symbiotic Excellence -- Love @ First Hack (Noisebridge
in a Nutshell -- Hacker Headlines of 2011: A Retrospective -- Mormons in
the Mission -- The Tao of Noisebridge (The Nao) -- Amateur Experimental
Mycology -- Hackupy Wall Street -- Software Nomenclature: Odd-Toed
Ungulates -- Robert Anton Wilson: in Memoriam -- Hackerspace Passports by
Mitch Altman -- Earth Alien: Eugene Tsui (architect) -- 4AD Timelock:
Zomes, Burning Man and Bucky Fuller -- v68k emulator (code) -- Quick & Easy
way to program a Chess Double (code) -- Calendar: Hacker Events -- Schedule
of FREE workshops and classes in SF/Bay Area -- Plus: surreal digital
collages, coloring book pages, book reviews, a poem, and (Fake ads by
hackers) -- and more
*
How You Can Read / Find It*

You can read the full text of ZiP01 in high-res, or download it to print
yourself for free -
here<http://zine.noisebridge.net/2012/02/zip01-is-online-now/>
http://zine.noisebridge.net/2012/02/zip01-is-online-now/

Be warned: the pagination is in Hexadecimal. Your calculator will convert
decimal to Hex if you switch it from Standard to Scientific mode.

You can order printed copies at the rate of $7 each + shipping. We've seen
20-page black & white xerox zines sell for $4. ZiP01 is worth $7. At this
time there are no quantity discounts as it costs us almost $7 per copy
ourselves just to print. Email *zipzine at riseup.net* to place an order. If
you hang out at Noisebridge <https://noisebridge.net/>, we can probably
deliver it to you in person!

*How You Can Help*

Promote it. Tell people about ZiP. Direct them to
ZiPZineWeb<http://zine.noisebridge.net/>or the Noisebridge
wiki <https://noisebridge.net/wiki/zine> page. If you have friends or
connections in printing and publishing or zinester circles, pull some
strings! We're building a network. If you know of a zine distro or small
press event or cool store that specializes in underground lit, let us know.
Order print copies, and encourage others to do the same - especially if
they are connected to a business or distro that might carry and distribute
ZiP!

*Contact us*

Letters to the editor, corrections, general inquiries - zipwizard at riseup.net

Submissions, pitches, content - zipsub at riseup.net