ZinesFromOuterSpace Pre-meeting missive

glamortramp glamortramp at riseup.net
Thu Feb 23 05:06:18 UTC 2012

Hey I just wanted to send a few notes & ideas to get peoples' brains
percolating before the planning session tomorrow at Noisebridge (9pm sharp!)

*Aestetix suggested*:

-Using bitcoin (I don't know what Bitcoin is....haven't Googled it
yet....you familiar?)
-Enabling easy pay online for copies: Paypal (I hate Paypal but we do
need an Easy Pay method for the site)
-Version of Noisebridge Tshirt w/ reference to ZiP
-Would the company that prints Tshirts also print the zine?  (I haven't
checked into this yet)
-Go through the consensus process to get funding for ZiP02 from the
Noisebridge Board / Treasury (interesting? but difficult I imagine)
-Submit to Mission Comics (20th & Mission) & other local stores (I'm on
top of this! Lizzard suggested Modern Times as another one, I'll try
them Friday)

Miloh brought up the *Anarchist Bookfair <http://santacruzanarchist.org>
*- let's talk about tabling for ZiP there! (March 31st/April 1st) -
perfect timing for ZiP02 - although tables are $120 I hear (damn! that's
prohibitive)

Also, Max aka Daemon can't make the meeting, but sent the following
ideas and notes that I'm forwarding to the group

Max wrote:

*I'm not going to be able to make the meeting as I've got to work
tomorrow night, but a couple things I wanted to include as ideas for
everything from overall design to content follow:*
*
*
*I've been playing around with Mario Paint which is an old school cart
for SuperNes and is AWESOME.  you can make cheesy 8-bit art and
even write music in it.  There are also fun wipes for when you choose to
erase the canvas (like on etch a sketch). I did a screen capture
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHB3pR1yjUE%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHB3pR1yjUE%20>
for a potential title card were we to ever start producing videos for
the website. (I know, I have a habit of getting ahead of myself.  You'll
learn to deal with it.)*
*
*
*And here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_70TBTTiY> is some /really/
devoted fan of Queen who transcribed Bohemian Rhapsody into the music
writing part.*
*
*
*Anyway, I <3 this program. It'd be fun to incorporate it somehow.*
*
*
*Here <http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n12/digitize.html> is an article
from /Antic/ which is an old atari magazine about how to rig your dot
matrix printer as an image digitizer.  I want to make one of these so
bad my keyboard is now covered in drool....brb. The images it creates I
think are a natural for the pages of ZiP.*
*
*
*And on that same site there are other old computer magazines including
a comic book called....The Whiz Kids!
<http://www.atarimagazines.com/whizkids/>  It immediately made me think.
  Holy shit.  We've got to have a comic strip in the next issue.  We
could digitally cut out and collage different comics together to tell,
perhaps,  the legendary adventures of Whim Whiz. Part D&D part Space
Rockopera....Whatever!  You get the idea.*
*
*
*I'm working on a couple of stories I think would be great for issue 2.
  Both pretty straight ahead journo pieces.*
*
*
*-->Tahrir documents <http://www.tahrirdocuments.org/> is a website
devoted to collecting all the pieces of paper related to revolution in
Egypt. I've already conducted a gchat interview with one of the editors
of the site and thinking about how I want to structure the piece. *
*
*
*-->Bittorrent <http://www.bittorrent.com/> is leading the charge for a
free and open internet even if there is a laywer in the room telling
them not to admit it.  They've been able to keep safely behind the
railing while all the MPAA dogfight with congress and everyone else
about piracy as of late, there's no debating that this little company's
software products account for an enormous amount of the total fixed line
bandwidth the internet sees every month.  About 16%.  That's twice the
amount of bandwidth Youtube gets and 2nd only to Netflix.  staggering,
and worth a profile. *
*
*

--