ZinesFromOuterSpace ZiP02 projected table of contents

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:05:05 UTC 2012

This is what was discussed last night + some things I'd already come up w/
on my own. Subject to change. James, if you took notes too send yours as
well just so we can be extra comprehensive (and confusing). Some of this
will inevitably end up on the cutting room floor: so it goes.

Yes, *Anarchy Enema* is our tentative theme! Anyone wanna take a gander at
designing a cover image for that? Lol.

*ZiP02: Anarchy Enema *

*April-June 2012*

*ZiP02.2°Lg.2012Q2.NRKNMA*

Lg = legal size paper (8.5 x 14"), a step up in size from ZiP01 which was
Lt (Letter, A4)

60 pages - continue Hex pagination but add *Vectors* (Miloh)

Why "Anarchy Enema" you ask? Ideas this great don't need to explain
themselves!

*Deadline for submissions:* March 15th (HARD DEADLINE!)

*Release date:* April 1 (April Fool's Day) 2012

 *TOPICS / THEMES / BRILLIANT IDEAS / CRAZED WHIMS for ZiP02:*

*Cover – *Laser cut or wood cut the cover image? Accept submissions for
cover art? Theme: Anarchy Enema

*Code Hero / Kickstarter - *FEATURE1 Project background / fundraiser /
interview + sidebar on Alex Peake (this could be saved & expanded into a
feature for ZiP03)

*BiL Conference *– FEATURE2, by Dara, reporter on scene

*EFF Article* – Adam

**Cyberia* – The birth of a new hackerspace (ongoing coverage)

**Discuss / Debate / Disparage - *ANARCHY: Pipe Dream, Violent Nightmare or
Blissful Possibility? – (to appeal to Anarchist Bookfair audience, assuming
we table there)

*Essay: Oshan at Evergreen* - Glam's Human Interest piece on Oshan Anand,
owner of Om Shan Tea and anarchist philosopher, which ties into current
events in light of Oshan's trial & possible prison sentence for alleged
distribution of psychedelics (As if...)

*FoxconnMacAppleSuicideCancerChina* – I'm not sure how to sum this up but
it involves heavy current news of interest to hackers; possible tie-in w/
Geeks And Depression (check w/ Mitch)

*Bit Torrent* (Max)

**Fold-out calendar* – (hacker events + classes & workshops) what was the
name of the person to ask about this?

*FRAC Magazine - *100 meter freestyle & narcathon* *(Zephyr?)

*Key code + cutout* to NB Front Gate! (This got a group laugh) Making light
of the ongoing debate over admittance policy

**The Noisebridge Muppet Show! *(Comic Strip) – Glam + illustrator

*Raspberry Pie* - $25.00 computer (James) can we get one?

**Encrypted / coded pages* – decode them to read! Or pages about
cryptanalysis & cracking?

**Tastebridge* – butter, limoncello (Adam), recipe from Ed, experimental
mycology

**MetaJournalism* – reviews of reviews (Glam), newspaper headline
composting (James' idea: take coverage of a recent event from several
different periodicals & compare / contrast /combine/ combust them)

*Zero Day Xploit – *play on ZiP name since zip = 0

**3 Paragraph Essay* – a trio of them on anarchy/anarchism as a
social/philosophical stance "opposing viewpoints" style would be nice; Glam
will write the first. Note that the 3PE is inspired by 5MOF

*Investigative Report on Robot-Human violence – *Interview Tai & others

*Astrology – *oh, astrology, what are we going to do about you? Glam will
condense Discuss list debate (Frantisek vs. Gopiballava et al.) on the
subject; Dara will write **Noisebridge horoscopes!* (yes PLEASE)

**Society Gossip / Community & Scene / Quotes* – Justin will contribute an
article on the recent death/rebirth of the NB hackerspace ("Noisebridge
Renaissance"); part of an ongoing column a la "Page 6 for Hackers" Also
"Shit Noizbridgers Say"* *(see Tumblr blog + Glam has others to add)

*Enemas* – James will write consumer review of the one found in the NB
bathroom. Let's try to work enemas into ZiP02 as much as possible

**ZiP Code / Binary Rainbow – *Josh J. Pt 2* *+ other tech articles

**Zine Reviews / Random Book From NB Library*

**Hacker's Digest / Headlines / The LeTigre Retort* – Satire and
Onion-style hacker news (Glam)

**Fake Ads - *I picture a Fake Advertising Department desk where the staff
Photoshops fake ads for the zine, makes prank phone calls to businesses, &
otherwise parodies & subverts the duties of a typical newspaper advertising
department

*Fear of Earthquakes – *humor piece by Glam

**Games* (board games, RPGs, Xbox, Sega, Halo, Go, DND, w/e) – Alex Handey?

**Scanned pages* of handwritten / cut & paste / letterpress text & images
**Letters / Feedback / Fan+Hate Mail*

**Crafts / Sewing / Fashion – *Tatiana's pirate jacket

**Profile of a Noisebridger - *Mike declined, unfortunately

**ZiPCat* – Mail order items & hacker treasures (John Draper's whistle,
tardigrade, William Gibson's manual typewriter), swag, merch, Tshirts,
stickers, Hack-a-Thong, Turing's Engima machine, etc

*Drug Reviews *– testing new drugs & pharmaceuticals from outside the U.S.
(going too far?)

**Politics/Hacktivism* – registering w/ the Green Party (changed view on
"spoilers"), headline: "America Receives Psychiatric Evaluation, Diagnosed
with Corporate Personality Disorder"

**POIDH –* photos of NB, ganked from web, etc

**Tasty Links* – odd & interesting things found on the web

*Other possibilities: *Spacebridge, reddit.com (James?), Pirate Party
(Gavin?), collaborative writing experiment (Hobbit), Consenso: the
Noisebridge Oracle, Max's other ideas (refer to email), Geometry Spotlight
(Dodecahedron)

 *PROMOTION / DISTRIBUTION VENUES*

*Isotope (comic + zine store)*

*Anarchist Bookfair – *Mar31, Apr1 in Santa Cruz, perfect timing for ZiP02,
but tables are $120

*Modern Times*

*Other hackerspaces & sites - *hackerspaces.org, CCC, et al.