ZinesFromOuterSpace ZiP info letter + State of the Zine Address + ZLang translations

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 06:53:04 UTC 2012

Hi ZiPPers & related folk,

It has been brought to my attention by several sources that I am a
thin-skinned, temperamental nightmare to work with, my leadership style is
chaotic & alienating, and ZiP <http://zine.noisebridge.net/zip/> -- the
Noisebridge zine I conceived & started late last year -- would be paradise
if I would just disappear & leave it to others. Well, the thin-skinned &
temperamental part of me is tempted to take some of these statements
personally, & to shout out a string of words that would have to be
tanscribed something like this !@#$%%^#%^&**@#$%!* But buried deep beneath
all those nightmarish layers there's a reasonable person inside me, & the
truth is, all I really want to do is write, edit & design pages for ZiP;
that's what I'm best at. The thought of fully losing creative control of
the project I instigated with the help of Miloh & Gavin (the two who helped
most in the early stages) in December/January 2011-12 fills me w/ lupine
rage & paralyzing fear, but maybe we can come to some sort of compromise &
save the ship of ZiP so it can sail again another day (soon,
hopefully......since ZiP03 is due in July & I've barely even created the
layout file yet!)

I've been talking w/ Eric R. & others about this lately. I think those of
us interested in contributing to ZiP03 ought to have a meeting sometime
soon. It should've happened already. I've started looking beyond NB for
collaborators. I feel ZiP has a few solid, consistent contributors already,
but not a full team the way I envision it.

Speaking of Eric, he did this
write-up<http://www.majortek.com/news/one-hour-alone-with-richard-stallman.html>on
the RMS interview for ZiP02 & placed it on his site yesterday, &
within
24 hours it had attracted several thousand hits & crashed his site from too
much traffic (yay!) So people are reading it, all right. They're just not
leaving any comments on our site or ordering copies of ZiP. Eric has
offered to let us host the ZiP zine on a subdomain of his site, Majortek,
which might have some benefits. We should talk this over as more of a
group....if we are a group (?)

Attached is an info letter I made to be placed in all future print copies
of ZiP that go to stores & such -- here it is also as a
link<http://zine.noisebridge.net/?p=1301>.
Modern Times, Dog-Eared Books, & Needles & Pens are now carrying ZiP and
should have ZiP02 on their shelves. I spent Thursday afternoon
proselytizing for ZiP. The girl working the counter @ Modern Times seemed
doubtful that even a single copy of ZiP would sell, but shortly afterwards
the manager (they're a collective.....so not manager....king, I
think....the *King of Modern Times* wrote me asking for 4 more copies! I've
been placing the info letter & a ZiP business card (I have 'em printed now,
in 2 different styles) in each copy. As for ordering, I'm about to install
the PayPal easy buy option on the ZiP site <http://zine.noisebidge.net/>.
Sorry it's taken me so long. Web architecture & construction is not my
forte[-with-an-accent-*aigu*].

I'm sharing a doc titled State of the Zine Address, which comes out of some
frustration I've felt lately & my wish / dream / fantasy of having a
devoted team of people to continue making this megazine with. I've felt
very ambivalent about Noisebridge lately, & am open to collaborators &
meeting spots outside the space. Also up in the air is the question of
where to go to print ZiP03 when that time comes. I don't want to use Office
Max any more. Or Kinko's, or Staples, but a printer -- like, a real
printing company, as others have suggested more than once. (I'm taking yr
advice!) 1984 in Oakland & Valencia Printing here in the Mission (22nd &
Valencia) are the two places I've been looking into, following suggestions
made by (respectively) Miloh & the manager @ Needles & Pens.

Speaking of.....when I was @ N&P Thursday, the manager told me there's a
long-haired guy who walks by their shop every day on 16th pushing a kitten
in a stroller & blasting slayer. I told her I want to interview him for
ZiP03.

A new possible theme has been emerging in my mind of late: Patterns.
Repetitive Motion. Cycles. The good & bad sides of that. Habit, ritual,
rut, system, cliche, efficiency, etc. I've also been talking w/ Danny
O'Brien about Consenso, who I want to interview for ZiP03. More about that
in the State of the Zine Address doc & also the ZiP03 Ideas doc, both of
which I'm sharing as Google files. If you don't get the share notice, let
me know.

Lastly.....two poems by Noisebridge's own Liz Henry translated into ZLang!
They are "I Wake Up as a Giant Robot" and "Spaceflight." (And I'm almost
done translating "Mother Frankenstein.") She's already seen these, but no
one else has. And actually, they need to be updated.....I've made slight
changes to the ZLang system. (Again. And again.) Note that in ZLang bold
text is the equivalent of an exclamation point. In the first poem, pretty
much every sentence is exclamatory.

*AA LÜKS IND ŒG UA ZAYURF L**ËTHEV*

* *

* *

*// zayurf l**ë**thev ~ fletirganz ~ janskilp =*

*aa.mp `lötim die ʒö arkaam jie /*

* *

*snarkilskrul /*

*mögaalusiv koʒkëgzovodred/*

* *

*aa skœr naks ind*

*skuling œrb nglee znot*

*die bruut œrb kʒlœv /*

* *

*aa.t ua södwi jed*

*kthaadir övaskidyu kavaskeer*

*ultelib xulmer /*

* *

*aa.n dradig numbin kemp*

*die zjo irbolyaal ʒeering im työ*

*œrb zji kordorking *

*zjœd blaam tä laarm skëm*

*baalrevaks brœgl*

*tonteelö.thantib xeuld /*

* *

*ej roilëdyaal käthilbarzil dlantwigeev liet im tä eeld /*

*dyœrkbëytil / kiefiluuvöid tugwoor / thiskovig zjœd wrad*

*sluar die daatlusk vodnœks wriskovig : skuVEYL /*

* *

*ej bisk / hä skœr mie œrögnarz*

*ar zjak laarm thebö //*

*
*

* *

* *

*ENTIENBRAAD*

* *

* *

ue zum dre söiedaber bierđeling ~ dwe bligwer kodluurük ~ skruxyulks
kueʒtulding

ep entluyrim sklithing irn rom.jospö ardoxning ~ driel dazwir ardolyettim ~

ong dre kien ʒarzing ~ duu pieloe kien ~ duu sklipdyn jë nytonabaxïkreving
jë dre

karraknödol ~ doerim ~ työndanjel ~ yormyn ~ glüa drid kwaavarz kord jë

endown raaks dre selwarkyd glüa ep mieraad ~

slüskorwond kül söiedaber drid xeekiv enskav ~ ül badzing ~ ül aktolposkid
elʒ

sökseng ep dwe yie đief man.ryd zlüg ~

                  kiem ~ kiem ur teltund jë thö sluuksor

düer.jud ~ onskiytharz raask enskeering ep `ark xë roep ie vrak söjaern jë
burv jë

                  elʒ

tojiring duuril.sklewkin ~ spikseek xlektrin ~ irn dre dyaz roeping taddyn
thae

                  ardoltrivodielö mensk i zlipadöad yelbaal skukondyök
entrownul ~

lamaksaëred neskorodur ~ kiem.et endyestra jë slarz ülmel irn ülmelvö jë dre

                  thüring ep jaak

sklond ep iy zruelöed kandiex ~

selv          i sklirk