ZinesFromOuterSpace AFJ / Dreadnought Hoax / Money makers

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:47:49 UTC 2012

Hail Hackers Well Met

I'm @ NB right now and none of you are. I guess early Sunday afternoon
isn't really IT.

I'm doing a little write-up on April Fool's Day and practical jokes by
hackers of the past for ZiP02. Are you all familiar with the Dreadnought
Hoax? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_hoax> One of my favorites -
though again, I'm coming from a literary background rather than a computer
one, since this hoax was pulled by young English intellectuals who would
become members of the Bloomsbury Group.

Virginia Woolf (nee Stephen) is the young Abyssinian man on the left in
both photos.

"The *Dreadnought hoax* was a practical
joke<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_joke>pulled by Horace
de Vere Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_de_Vere_Cole> in 1910.
Cole tricked the Royal Navy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy> into
showing their flagship <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship>, the warship HMS
*Dreadnought* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_%281906%29>, to
a supposed delegation of Abyssinian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopia>royals. The hoax drew attention
in Britain to the emergence of the Bloomsbury
Group <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomsbury_Group>."

Oh, hey, I revised ZLang - my ZiPPish form of alphabet encryption - over
the weekend & it's way better than before, really....I know you're excited.

I think I received the last ZiP02 submissions today....I hope so, because
otherwise I'm afraid the drawbridge is lifting as we speak.....

Now we just need to shake our collective money makers, and come up with
$500 for an initial batch of 100 copies at the beginning of April! Can we
claim to be educating people?

TLongshanksLT