ZinesFromOuterSpace ZiP03 ideas / planning session

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:18:25 UTC 2012

Tomorrow is 5MoF @ Noisebridge. Not a good night for a zine meeting. So how
about we have our 1st ZiP03 planning session / in-depth critique of ZiP02
next *Thursday, May 24th, 8pm* -- is Noisebridge OK?

If anyone is receiving this that doesn't want to -- because you won't have
time to participate in the next issue or whatever -- let me know, & I'll
try not to take it personally. I hope we get some fresh people on board
this time, though.

Here's a list of ideas I've already generated for ZiP03. As you can see,
there's no shortage. I'm not trying to dominate things, it's just that no
one else has really contributed ideas yet since we haven't had a meeting.
Some or even much of this may not make it into this issue, so don't take
this as any strict thing -- there's room for all sorts of other things.
I'll be sharing this as an editable Google doc, so you'll probably get a
notice about that as well.

*Ideas / Content for ZiP03 (Release Date: July 1st, 2012 give or take a
couple weeks, you know)*

* *

* *

*A: “But....he told me he was an honest person.”*

* *

*B: “Maybe he was lying.”*

Theme

1)    Infinite Recursion / Droste Effect (could have killer cover image w/
this)

2)    Earthquakes Are Hot / Seismic Liberation

3)    ?

Front cover image: Depends on selected theme, but might incorporate
recursive paper spiral art made by CKP that Miloh gave Tony – CKP is author
of forthcoming book, website shadowfolds.com

3 Paragraph Essay or longer piece touching on recent NB dramafests
including the Rayce & Cynthia debacles, leading into the difference between
hypocrisy & contradiction. By Tony with a counterpoint or different view
from anyone else who wants to write it. We’ve asked Hipe/Mark to elaborate
his statement that “the NB anarchy experiment has failed”

Interview w/ Sebastian about presentation @ NB in early May (ask Miloh)

Vector Control: introducing vectors to the ZiP hex paging system (Miloh +
Tony) - for intro page

Notes on using laser cutter - include Martin B's piece on care of the lens

Mention of the current Oracle court case that could have major implications
for free software

Maker Faire article (Frantisek)

Hidden public places / secret spots of SF (Dara, Tony,            )

NB Profiles: David the brewmaker (Tastebridge), who else?

Great Names in Hackerdom: Richard Greenblatt, Linus Torvalds,    ?

ReMission - restaurants, stores, shops in the Mission - Om Shan Tea

Games: King Arthur's Gold (James)

Mad Libs style piece (James)

Assembly Language article / Zephyr's class: include multiple perspectives
from total n00b to programming pro

Earthquake Obsession / Seismic Liberation - "earthquakes are so erotic"
(Oshan quote), article on Richter scale's obsolescence, recent advances in
seismology & hopes for the future, first-hand accounts from large quakes,
Tony’s quake-obsession article, the Seismic Liberation Front (Tracy Andrews)

Humor: Don't Worry, Be Hackers / More People Die (Tony)

Comic: Noisebridge Muppet Show (Tony + Hipe? Really hope this sees the
light of day finally!)

KINK.COM TOUR - possible feature (Adam + Tony + ?)

Mushrooms of N. California part 2 (Alan R.) - insert / cuttable cards?

A scientific study or analysis of NB-Discuss posts. What percentage are
drama vs. hacking & projects? Compile other statistics, present data. Could
be fun & eye-opening.

Introduce idea of an awards ceremony at the end of the year
(Thanksgiving/Christmas time): the 2012 "Noisey" Awards. Mitch Altman
didn’t get it, but you do, right?

WordPlayground / Neologisms - include quote from Jargon: “Hackers, as a
rule, love wordplay and are very conscious and inventive in their use of
language" (Tony, Jesse, ?)

Letterpress/LaTeX fancy typesetting (Jesse, Max?) + Fonts I Like (Tony)

Scanned / handwritten / cut & paste pages

Gained in Translation: print a poem in 4 or 5 different
languages/codelangs: English, Tengwar, Klingon, ZLang,  C or other computer
language, binary, octal, hex, etc - which is most beautiful?

Love at First Hack Part 2 (Tony) - write about wanting the hackers to
appreciate literature & vice versa; "what if I had taken the computer
programming course instead of art & lit classes"

Tips for zinesters in the Bay Area (Tony, James, anyone else)

Artists Television Access (ATA) - close to NB in the Mission - seems like a
great place for cross-pollination; raise idea of film/video workshops (Tony
+          )

ABORSTOP: A Bunch of Random Shit Together on One Page

A note on the proliferation of studies being done on hackerspaces - a way
to track the results when the studies are concluded - what percentage make
it to completion? - mention Michel L. the French sociologist who is writing
a book-length study of  Noisebridge - sidebar on What is a Hackerspace,
Anyway? - use Max's article link

ANTIC article: Dot Matrix portraits - Max's link

68k Emulator Part 3 (Josh Juran) - 4 PAGES

Oshan's trial (July 23rd) - if he OKs or wants the press

Digital Freedom: BitTorrent (Max, Adam, Tony?)

BioCurious: a review or insider report

Hacktivism/Politics: Situationists + L'Occupation (French forerunner of OWS)

Android Usability Workshop

Front-End Web Development: Jeffrey C. Faden's bursting-at-the-seams Monday
night class

In Defense of Poetry (IDOP): "The Survivor" (Tony) or another submission

CryptoZiP: Rebuses, encryption, code, Leet, puzzles – pages you have to
crack to read

Pirate Parties International article (3rd time's the charm?)

Brainwash: My Second Home When I Was Homeless (Before I Found Noisebridge)
(Tony)

Astoria, Oregon + the Goonies as a hacker film (Tony)

Word Finder Puzzle

Images / visual art

1. The Blue Scream of Life

2. Droste Effect image: infinite recursion (possible Front Cover image)

3. Godzebra Comes to Lunch

4. Recursive paper art design - see Theme note above

5. Rainbow chessboard (how would you play chess if the pieces were a
rainbow spectrum of colors rather than black & white?)

6. Hexfingers

7. Lady Orange Marmalade

8.

9.