ZinesFromOuterSpace Jesse / your class

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sun May 27 06:05:12 UTC 2012

*On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Mike Schachter <mschachter at eigenminds.com>
 wrote:
*

> *Hola Tony,
>
> I like your zine, and your emails are not labeled as trolling by my human
> troll detector, and if we met in person we would surely get along, as
> I rarely have any interest in giving anyone a hard time. Any jokes
> directed at your existence during the ML meetup pertained only your
> perceived prolific posting and were not meant as personal attacks
> in any way! I got no problem with you or anyone else at noisebridge.
> If you're around on Thursday coming up we should at the very least
> meet face to face and say hello.
>
>  mike
>
> P.S. I've had a good amount of machine learning meetups where
> nobody showed up. It's a downer but hang in there! Also, I wouldn't
> bother posting to nb-discuss about Jesse if you can somehow manage
> to ignore him and continue doing whatever it is that you enjoy doing.*

Thanks, my response I'm sure came off very hostile. As a matter of fact I'm
at NB now, so is Jesse, we talked, things are fine, & no I won't be posting
about it to NB Discuss. Although I do feel some of my posts are a little
more creative & multivalent -- I think that's a word for "layers of
meaning" -- so I suppose you could say it hurts my feelings a little that
they've been misconstrued -- but some of them are admittedly throwaways --
also I do understand that posing as a troll is indistinguishable in the
minds of the hasty majority from being a troll, so.....can't be helped, I'm
sure.

I enjoy creating, collaborating & especially working with language, graphic
design, writing & related media (both print & otherwise). I also just met
with Francisco to help him grow his vinegration/pickling/sustainable
produce business, which I think has a lot of potential. And I'm in the
process of starting a new squatters circle which I have given the
provisional name EREA (Emergency Real Estate Acquisitions) - it just sounds
better than "squatting," and it's pretty fucking funny. And I was just
talking w/ Danny about formulating a pamphlet of info on Noisebridge's
history & purpose -- humorous to some extent, no doubt, showing off the
"playful cleverness" of the hacker personality, but accurate, & condensing
a great deal of info into a few short pages -- I suggested to Danny that
whoever produces the outline first (he's been intending to for a long time
-- it was his idea) should then organize a meeting or one-off class of some
kind inviting other major NB players to look the outline over & suggest
revisions, additions, etc. The do-ocratic thing, in my opinion, is not to
dominate the project or completely do it all yourself, but to catalyze it,
get it started, write the draft or outline, schedule the class....that's
the role (catalyst) I play well, sometimes. But now that I know Danny is
planning it, I doubt I'll be able to write it, b/c I'll be thinking the
whole time of how I can't possibly match the style of, for instance,
NTK<http://www.ntk.net/>
.

So yeah, I got projects. My projects have projects. I just took 5 copies of
ZiP02 over to Needles & Pens & changed 'em out. They had just 1 copy of
ZiP01 left, which is awesome, because I didn't have one myself, and now I
do! It's also awesome that the other 4 copies sold. I know who bought a
couple of them, but not the other 2.

I look forward to the further results of your analysis, & would like to
print them in ZiP03, possibly with an article on that subject by yourself
or anyone interested. I'm trying to include more people with each issue of
the zine, because I honestly don't want to do the whole damn thing myself.
I can't.

Feel free to forward this to any of your other classmates, etc.

Ccing to Jesse & Danny, sorry if I'm repeating myself....

TONY

PS - I REALLY want to requisition a newspaper box for NB to keep ZiP &
possibly other literature (such as the proposed informational pamphlet) in.
Ideally one that's abandoned or belonging to a discontinued publication;
failing that, one belonging to a publication I feel hostile towards -- in
any case, I feel certain that in all the city of SF there is one newspaper
box we could (permanently) borrow without anyone feeling too heartbroken --
paint it up w/ NB logos & whatnot, & hey presto! Something fun for visitors
to take away with them from the space. So....if you see any empty newspaper
boxes....or any that aren't securely locked down....LET ME KNOW! Also
someone with a vehicle would be ideal. Those things are hard to carry on
MUNI.