ZinesFromOuterSpace screenprinting workshop this Sunday 1/13

gl@mortr@mp glamortramp at riseup.net
Wed Jan 9 06:10:15 UTC 2013

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping this message will reach most, if not all, of the people signed
up for the screenprinting workshop this Sunday, Jan. 13th at Noisebridge!

This is Tony aka "yellow sunglasses," organizer of the event. The workshop
is scheduled for 3 to 5pm on Sunday, which will hopefully work for
everyone.

The things we need from everyone please:

1) HEAD COUNT. Please reply to this message with your name (first+last,
first+initial) if you are planning to attend. Tell me how many people you
are bringing. If you don't specify, I will assume you are attending alone
& mark down ONE.

2) HAVE YOUR ART READY IN ADVANCE! We're going to print with paper
stencils. You need stencil art (i.e. no unattached “islands”) & it needs
to be prepared beforehand so that this workshop can be smooth & take 2
hours instead of 10. More info on prepping art below.

3) BRING WHAT YOU WANT TO PRINT ON, whether that's Tshirts, other garments
or whatever else. We'll be printing with water-based inks, which can be
used on a variety of substrates. If you aren't experienced, it's probably
best to stick with something you know will work, like a Tshirt.

Disclaimer: this is my first time organizing a seminar of this sort at
Noisebridge, & I was under the impression there was money to available in
the Noisebridge coffers to purchase supplies for this workshop, so that it
could be free, like the other classes of Noisebridge are usually free. It
turns out that's slightly more complicated than I expected. I still want
the workshop to be free as in "no one turned away," but I need to ask
attendees to donate something to cover supplies that we'll be using. We'll
have a donation jar, and will be selling blank T-shirts at the event in
case you don’t have anything to print on. Anyway, this is just because we
have to buy ink to print with, paper, & some Tshirts & other things to
print on, in case people don't bring enough of that.

The workshop will be co-facilitated by the vibrant, the talented, the
heavily committed ALEX GLOWASKI of Sauce Labs! So yay for that, but we
need to streamline this to pull it off, so be sure to have your

STENCIL ART

To keep things manageable for this workshop, we will be using vinyl
stencils for our printing. Here are some links with info on the technique
we'll be using:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-vinyl-stencil-to-silk-screen/

http://signweb.com/content/screenprinting-vinyl-part-one#.UOxjconjkoY/

(Google-search the pertinent terms & you'll find plenty more, including
instructional videos with cheesy soundtracks.)

PLEASE HAVE YOUR ART READY BEFORE THE WORKSHOP! The sooner the better.
(Now is great!) I will be available to "virtually assist" people this week
in preppring your art. You will need to start with a reversed image that
is STENCIL READY, meaning no unattached parts. If you have the proper
software & access to a vinyl cutter or plotter, you can print your stencil
from the computer using a vector file (AI, SVG, EPS). Illustrator is the
program for working with vector files. Photoshop is raster. (See MORE
LINKS below.) If you have a raster image (JPEG, TIF, PNG, etc) that you
want to vectorize for stencil work, it'd be easiest if you can do that
yourselves before the workshop. Email the art to anthonyletigre at gmail.com
if not (that's my Gmail account, with enough
bandwidth to receive large image files, unlike Riseup), & I'll try to take
care of it for you before Sunday.

Bear with me if things seem a little chaotic, most of my endeavors are,
but with a little luck & a lot of understanding & enthusiasm we'll pull
this thing off, have some fun & go home with some cool new designs to wear
& share!

I'll be communicating again before Sunday. Feel free to hit me up with any
questions you may have before then. And if any of you have screenprinting
experience & would like to help us organize things for this Sunday and
ensure smooth eventflow the day of, I will be overjoyed to accept your
help!

Talk to y'all soon,

Tony/yellow sunglasses
Once more: email address for sending art or image files:
anthonyletigre at gmail.com

SOME MORE LINKS

Here's some more info on the subject of raster vs. vector & conversion of
one to the other

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41

http://www.softcover.com/r2v-articles/what-is-resolution-and-why-is-it-important-for-raster-to-vector-conversion.htm

There's an open-source program called Inkscape that does raster to vector
conversion for Windows and Mac OS X, view info & the download link here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/convert-images-to-svg-format-with-inkscape/

As well as a site that claims to do the conversion for free NSA, though I
haven't had time to check it out yet, so forgive me if that's a lie:

http://vectormagic.com/home