[Digitalarchivists] Newcomer to Noisebridge Wants to Say "Thank You"

Hiroshi Usui hiroshiusui1 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:43:49 UTC 2015

Noisebridge newcomer here:

I want to thank the Digital Archivists for building the first book scanner
at Noisebridge, based on Daniel Reetz's design. A few days ago, I visited
Noisebridge for the first time to scan some books from the library. I very
slightly edited the python script to make "continous_scan.py", which lets
me scan without overwriting previous scans.

While non-destructive book scanning can't match the quality of destructive
book scans through a document feeder, the scanned text is absolutely still
usable for educational purposes -- especially for college students.

My initial issues were skewed pages and not being able to zoom the Canon
EOS DSLRs onto the page as much as I would have liked it to. However, with
the appropriate Photoshop and Finereader usage, I was able to post-process
the scans with very little manual repetition for each page.

RAW SCAN: http://i.imgur.com/QwbfU6I.jpg

PROCESSED SCAN: http://i.imgur.com/qwwU8xd.jpg

If you're curious to see the rest of the book, here is a Google Drive
download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TF0K5d10bVSmo0dlVGZ00yTzg/view?usp=sharing
(622 MB)

When I have time, I try to release these books to public trackers. If the
Digital Archivists don't mind, I would like to continue scanning borrowed
books from my campus library. I would also like to get connected with the
Digital Archivists so I can learn more about the Noisebridge community.

Thanks for keeping the book scanner operational, and good luck on the
second book scanner.

- Hiroshi/uberkelium