[Bio] Post-meeting thoughts and NIR probe

Rolf rolfvw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:18:38 UTC 2011

Hi Folks!
It was good to see everyone yesterday, and get updated on what people
are working on.
Too bad it got so noisy at Noiseybridge!

I went ahead and ordered some parts today (will expense with Rikke
soon) for the
pH amplifier.  It's going to be quite an effort.
I also will get some phototransistors for the NIR probe.

I found some parts that are well matched for the 850nm IR LEDs that I brought in
yesterday.  It's the Optek OP506B.  They cost 80 cents each.
A very simple circuit is required around it, and it might even work
with a couple
resistors.
I think the probe will require 3 wires:  +5v power, signal output, and
GND (hopefully shielded).

If these parts work, then the mechanicals should be straightforward.
The LED and the detector are both 3mm LED-like packages.
This should make it easier to design a probe around it.

Cheers,
-rolf