[Bio] pH probe confusion

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 23:19:41 UTC 2011

Hi Rolf,

Can't answer your question regarding the state of the probe, but regarding
the pH of vinegar, that depends entirely upon the concentration of acetic
acid <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid> - white vinegar for cleaning
is usually 5% and has a pH of approx. 2.4. On the other end, you could test
any heavy-duty soap - wood oil soap ought to have pH of about 9 when diluted
along the lines of 1:20 (and you do need to dilute it to measure it), and if
you can find drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide, NaOH), it ought to have a pH
of about 11 (don't get it on your hands, alkaline burns are painful).

/Rikke