[Noisebridge-board] new members inducted tonight

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed May 6 07:04:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 09:31:38PM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:
[snip two full names and emails]
> inducted as members tonight.  They have both told me in person that they
> don't mind their full names and emails being on a publicly archived list.

Rachel,

While I appreciate your checking with the new members, and I appreciate
the desire to have a more functional accounting of our new members, I
would like our default posture to be one of not disclosing personal
information unless necessary.  Data mining is only getting easier, and
it's far easier to not publish information than to try to pull it back
after it's discovered that it needs to be private.

I'd prefer that Noisebridge be a place where the assumption is "we can't
guarantee anything but we default to working for privacy" rather than
"we'll be private if you really want, but by default we publish personal
details".

At the same time, I'm not trying to make more work for anybody.

Could you (or other meeting-notes-taking type person) send this mail to
the treasurer and secretary in the future, and if it's easy, send a
summary to the board or discuss list?  Just "we inducted two new members
this week" should suffice.

Note that there's a treasurer@ alias already; we could add a secretary@
if we decide that's a good idea.  (These are aliases, not lists, so
they're @noisebridge.net not @lists.)

-andy