[Noisebridge-board] Noisebridge annual board meeting

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Dec 6 21:51:15 UTC 2010

miloh writes:

> Would love to meet, I'll be at 2169 on Tuesday if we do, I have a few points
> to make below.
>
>  *why* are we discussing holding a board meeting?  The Noisebridge
> membership needs to consent on a new board for 2011.  We need to give the
> membership of Noisebridge a chance to organize and come to a Tuesday meeting
> to do that.
>
> However, as far as I see, we haven't even discussed or broached this subject
> yet at a Tuesday meeting.

Hi Miloh,

The current board has never, as far as I know, had an official
board meeting, and the bylaws call for the board to do that
every year (which seems to mean that each board would typically
meet once -- right around the end of that board's tenure).

The previous procedure for choosing a new board was to have an
election with paper ballots in a ballot box.  Last year this
happened on a Tuesday but it wasn't a consensus agenda item; it
was pursuant to a resolution of the board at a board meeting. :-)

As Rachel says, Kelly is working on getting an official membership
list by excluding people who aren't in good standing because
they've stopped paying dues.  I think this is based on the
intuition that members should have a reliable way to find out
whether they're eligible to vote before they vote.  (This isn't
a joke, since last year the board explicitly decided not to
measures of any kind to prevent vote fraud.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.