[Noisebridge-board] PDFs of NB governmental docs

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Jun 22 16:24:19 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 12:54 AM, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> So I have scanned all the docs that Mitch lent me for that purpose.  I
> would like to post them on the website, but several of them have
> addresses of officers and directors.  Most of us have moved since then
> but I still think they should be blanked out in the copies we intend to
> disseminate.  Does anyone have a PDF editor who can take on this task?
> It's only 2 docs but I just don't have the tools - couldn't find any
> free PDF editor that seemed capable of adding a black box, just form
> generators & stuff.  Even Photoshop, I was able to open the PDFs but it
> broke them up into one PDF per page and I couldn't get them back
> together again!  It was like Humpty Dumpty!  OMG.
>
> So anyway, know how I can do this?

Just adding a black box doesn't actually redact the information. There's
a guide for how to do this but I don't have it on hand.

An easy way to do this is pretty non-technical - print it, redact it,
scan it, make a new pdf. You'll be able to visually see it worked before
you get to the new pdf step.

I suggest using black ink, whiteout, blackink, whiteout, and then
finally scanning it. It's a lot of work for a lot of documents but a
reasonable amount of work for a small set of data.

All the best,
Jake