[Noisebridge-board] legal question from a new hackerspace

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:35:14 UTC 2012

Congrats on the new space!

As Andy and Noah said, this really is not a big issue.  The main thing that the IRS cares about is that no one use a 501(c)(3) as a means of defrauding them out of tax revenue.  As Andy suggested, the Nolo Press book is a great resource.

Non-profits are allowed to make a profit.  Unlike for-profit corporatations, that profit doesn't go to share holders, it stays within the corporation.

Individuals at non-profit hackerspaces can use the space as a resource to make money for themselves.  However, the space shouldn't be used to avoid (or appearing to avoid) paying personal or corporate taxes.

Mitch.