[Noisebridge-board] fiscal sponsorship

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 16:57:09 UTC 2013

I have held off on replying to this, because I wanted to mull over andy's
message and not reply hastily.

I realize that a lot of my reasoning relates to, why this idea, why right
now, and I realize the general objection is broader than that. I support
the idea of noisebridge fiscally sponsoring projects beyond what can
physically fit under its roof. One of the reasons I pushed for creating
structure with the tor project was so folks could springboard on what was
already done to reuse it at other times for other projects. Perhaps if that
capability/structure exists for sponsoring certain kinds of projects, let's
spell out what kinds.

I think this project furthers the goals of noisebridge, being a
user-created space for the creative use of technology. (It has a more
specific intention around outreach than noisebridge does.) I believe it is
possible to plan for the administrative impacts of a finite sponsorship
relationship.

If I could have kept my warehouse in sf, I would be around noisebridge
more. My membership is on hiatus because I am super poor. Am I
'noisebridge' anymore? Is this project 'noisebridge enough' to warrant an
affiliation? I am willing to sign up to do some work so the interface can
happen, but why should it?

The area where I am, w oakland, is full of folks who would hack if they had
a hackerspace. There is an urban desert with precious few institutions or
even places to get food. It is bleak and concrete and teeming with
creativity, often stifled due to lack of access to space and equpment. This
is not hyperbole, it is the life I see many friends leading. Here is where
I am and here I find some anarchic weirdos intent on creating a space for
the creative use of technology, but in their own kooky user-empowering way
that other people keep calling folly.

I still believe that the relationship is a good idea for a short term, and
would only proceed with a plan for how to do the relationship in a bounded,
finite way with limited admin impact on noisebridge and with a definite end
date. I'll also specifically  take responsibility for bottom-lining some of
the tasks, and spell out who else will take care of the rest (with their
consent), before moving forward with the project. I believe the outcome of
this short-term relationship would be increased respectability for oaktown
hall, a donation to noisebridge, and a leg up to a project rooted in
noisebridge's ideals.

R.

http://www.tides.org/fileadmin/user/NNFS/NNFS-Fiscal-Sponsorship-Guidelines-for-Comprehensive.pdf

> > Best,
> >
> > Liz
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
> > <rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > hi danny!
> > >
> > > TBH i don't really believe too much in 501c3 or kickstarter but this
group
> > > is doing both.  i keep doubting on everything but they keep bulling
> > > forward, building connections in the neighborhood and working to
raise the
> > > money to buy a media editing station.  I think that for them, the
> > > association with noisebridge and the positioning as a nonprofit
endeavor
> > > are part of the broader campaign for hearts and minds, more than being
> > > specifically about tax deductions.
> > >
> > > we've explored schoolfactory as an option (and honestly i kinda
advocated
> > > for it since they have a better infrastructure for this) but the
feeling of
> > > the project leaders was that it would be cool to keep the money in the
> > > community, and strengthen existing community ties. I'd be interested
in
> > > hearing about other good options if they exist.
> > >
> > > I'd love to meet up!
> > >
> > > how about tuesday?
> > >
> > > R.

OakTown Hall