[Caffeine] roast temperature logging, PID control

Dana dsniezko at sonic.net
Mon Nov 4 20:04:29 UTC 2013

Hello,
One project I've been meaning to work on is modification of a popcorn
popper to log roast temperature, possibly control via Arduino & solid
state relay.

I was thinking of using a thermocouple + amp like the AD595
(https://www.sparkfun.com/products/306), then I came across this well
developed open source Arduino shield for temperature monitoring and
control http://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/ (You can buy PCBs via
OSHPark, but you have to order in multiples of 3, cost with parts ~$30 +
arduino, thermocouple and relay.
http://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/dolZshm9)

Has anyone here built a project like this, or interested in having a
hack night this month? I suppose it is also applicable to other
temperature control / PID applications: espresso machine, reflow oven,
etc.

- dana