[Noisebridge-congress] Apartment in Berlin: a proposal

Audrey Penven audrey.penven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:47:32 UTC 2009

I was thinking that if we split into two apartments, we could put even
more people in the sardine one.  There isn't actually a shortage of
people wanting a space.

I get the impression with some people on this list, that they're only
really okay with a few more people crashing on the floor.  Like five
of them.

It's worth asking the question: how many extra people are you willing
to deal with having in the space?

Personally, I don't have an upper limit.  The grand total I've spent
to stay places in Europe over all four times I've been is about $13.
I've slept on plenty of floors.  At Burning Man, I've often slept
directly on the ground, curled up in a shadow.  The day HOPE ended in
NYC, I crashed in Bre's 1 bedroom apartment where about 12 other
people were staying.  Someone moved over slightly on the couch so I
could sleep too.  I don't assume that this is reasonable for everyone.
 The more people stay in this space, the less space everyone will
have.  Some of us don't care.

I really like the idea of a huge group of us staying in the same
building, whether or not it's the same apartment.

I'm expressing this because I'm wary of other people's priorities
affecting me too much financially.  This has happened to me before.  I
don't think what we're talking about here is a bad deal.  But if a
bunch of us camp out in sleeping bags for 10 euros (or less) a night,
I'll have more money to buy myself some food.  Comfort is probably my
absolute lowest priority, and always has been while traveling.

This said, I don't want to negatively impact those here who want a
nice soft bed and some breathing room.  We should all be pretty clear
what our priorities and concerns are.

- Audrey