[Noisebridge-congress] Apartment in Berlin: a proposal

Ka-Ping Yee noisebridge at zesty.ca
Tue Dec 15 08:19:46 UTC 2009

Hey Audrey,

Good of you to bring up the question about our comfort levels.
Talking is good.  I think you're right that we have a range of
tolerances among us.

It's true; I do like some comfort.  For me, getting some decent
sleep is a significant part of being a nice and non-grumpy person
the next day, and I like to be happy when travelling.  On the
other hand, I know people really wanted to join, and being there
with all of you is a big plus of this trip for me.  So I looked
for a way to accommodate more people, without costing them too
much, and without freaking out too much about OMG first time in
Berlin, being liable to a landlord I've never met for an apartment
I've never seen, recovering money from 11 different people, etc.
I want to stress out about the chasers who are hunting my ass
down in Journey, not about where I'm staying. :)

The scheme I'm proposing is my best shot at a compromise.  People
get a place to stay, we all get to hang out together, and I remain
sane because I only have five people to coordinate with.
Floor-sleepers can stay pretty cheaply; people who really want
beds, and committed first, can still get them.

> It's worth asking the question: how many extra people are you willing
> to deal with having in the space?

That number is 4 or 5 for me.  Yes, it's not as high as your limit;
I'm a little concerned about 11 people sharing one bathroom.  I think
we'll be fine, but I'd prefer not to push it further.

> I'm expressing this because I'm wary of other people's priorities
> affecting me too much financially.  This has happened to me before.
> I don't think what we're talking about here is a bad deal.  But if a
> bunch of us camp out in sleeping bags for 10 euros (or less) a night,
> I'll have more money to buy myself some food.

Well... the total rent is 822.27.  If 6 people sleep in beds and 5
sleep on the floor, that makes (5+4+4+4+4+4)*2 + (4+4+4+4+4) = 70
floor-nights, which is 11.75 euros per night for floor sleepers.
That's pretty close to your target.

Christie wrote:
> I think it'd be a good idea to shuffle around keyholders/bed sleepers
> to accomodate those who are willing to pay more.

That's a fine idea.  As long as we end up with six Keymasters to
fulfill the original commitment, it's all good by me.

Audrey -- I currently have you down as a yes for a bed.  If you were
to find someone else to take your bed spot, would that make things
work out for you?  Let me know what you'd like to do.

Thanks!

-- ?!ng