[Noisebridge-congress] re-entry to the US

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 01:06:00 UTC 2010

im at calgary airport right now, just went through security. twice. slowest
security ive yet been through. I was allowed to take on my backpack as soon
as i said the magic word 'laptop'. everyone was given full patdown, and
every other passenger was searched.
sigh.
they conviscated my 11mm socket.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Ben Rupert <meowdip at gmail.com> wrote:

> They wouldn't let me carry on my small backpack, but let other people carry
> on larger breifcase/messanger bags.  Form factor profiling.
>
> On Jan 4, 2010 12:18 PM, "Christie Dudley" <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My experience was also coming through Canada.  I think you can pretty much
> expect that at or around US Customs you'll be expected to check something if
> you have more than one bag.  They explicitly listed: anything with wheels
> must get checked.  Anything that doesn't seem like something you'd be
> walking around on the street with, they'll badger you to be checked.  I saw
> a lot of backpacks, although I also saw a lot of backpacks checked.
>
> What I would do, if doing it all over again is stick whatever I wanted to
> carry through the US into my laptop bag and put the change of underwear,
> shampoo, etc in the other bag.  I'm glad I had 2 bags unchecked while
> traveling through Germany, as I would have had to collect my checked bag to
> overnight at the hotel they put me up in.  I don't think I would have
> otherwise packed anything differently knowing that at the border they'd be a
> right royal PITA.
>
> When I got the "bonus patdown" - a second round of security in the Toronto
> airport, they gave me a slip outlining the new guidelines. (Because
> obviously I didn't meet them - I had *gasp* FOOD in my bag!)  I am
> completely positive that NOBODY adheres to the new guidelines as they're
> literally impossible to follow - i.e. you can't bring medications at all if
> you carry a laptop, although medications are explicitly allowed.
>
> Also cameras are explicitly allowed as carry ons.  I'd address them just
> like a laptop, although the regulations don't include things like, oh,
> camera bags and film...  There's nothing like a rules set that is so
> restrictive it contradicts itself.
>
> Christie
> _______
> Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
> the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Kate McKinley <kate at lugh.net> wrote: > >
> I was able to travel wi...

doing stuff and making things
---
"A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be reverenced as such. His
profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the
history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." -Henry David
Thoreau