[Noisebridge-congress] GSM cards in germany

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 17:58:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Michael C. Toren <mct at toren.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 06:13:13PM +0100, Michael Zeltner wrote:
>> Excerpts from Michael C. Toren's message of 2012-12-19 01:08:06 +0100:
>> >
>> > A few of us have also had success using the telco's corporate address that
>> > appears on the SIM packaging. :-)
>>
>> IIRC a few people said that sometimes cheap stores such as Plus or "Spaetis"
>> (the turkish bodegas) don't really check for ID at all.
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I don't recall Saturn checking my ID when I
> purchased a SIM last year.
>
> Anyone else remember?

When I first went for camp, we did that whole dance filling out forms
at a regular looking phone store on alexanderplatz. expensive and
lame.

when I went back for congress -- I bought a bubble wrapped prepaid
Blau (blau is a virtual operator on the E-Plus network) card from
Saturn and activated it online.  Done, easy peasy.

Saturn won't check since you're just buying a prepaid sim card in
bubble wrap -- instead, I used my current address which happened to be
near the address indicated on the packaging itself!

the german telephone numbers page on wikipedai is tangentially
relevant to this topic, but useful for folks going to congress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Germany

my #  is +49 157 81892731
German numbers To start, +49 is the country prefix   157 is my
original operator, blau) 818 92731