[CQ] 2 meter radio donation for NB?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Dec 8 22:13:56 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Josh Myer's message of Tue Dec 08 13:13:43 -0800 2009:
> It'd be great to have a radio around the space; I'm not sure where to put
> it, or how best to control access to it.  I'd guess that we could get by
> with not programming in any local repeaters with tones; that should make it
> obscure enough to keep all but the most devoted trolls from abusing it.

Do we really have to control access? I seem to remember preventing
unauthorized operation being part of the FCC rules for the amateur
service.  I think a note saying "this radio can only be operated by
licensed operators" should suffice.

> We'll still need an antenna, but that's a pretty small problem.  The bigger
> thing is: can we get away with a single drop into the space, and then have
> an antenna switcher or something up on the roof?

Certainly possible. I'd use the same feedline for HF as I would for
2-meters, though some sort of switch adds some complexity to the system.

> I'm really enthused about getting an HF rig up, too.  Mostly because I'm
> only Technician, so I need one of y'all Generals present to operate on the
> meaningful frequencies =)

Ditto. If we can tackle the antenna/feedline part of things, operating
shouldn't be too much more work. Just hooking up the radio.

I'm General class if it ever comes in handy.

> Bring the radios in and we'll find a home for 'em!  If you need space, I can
> shuffle a bunch of stuff on my shelf, which is getting dangerously full, as
> a temporary home.

Agreed... thanks for offering this up Bill!

I suspect it wont get much use until we get an antenna up, but would be
nice to have something installed and ready-to-go.

I might have a dualbander (2m/440Mhz) around here I could part with as
well.

--j