[CQ] Can we get a third?

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Fri Mar 19 04:10:39 UTC 2010

Also, upon looking at the requirements with ARRL, each VE needs to be accredited with the ARRL VE group.

Here is the info:

To test a candidate, at least three Volunteer Examiners (VEs) are needed. VEs must be accredited by the ARRL/VEC to serve in ARRL/VEC sessions; VEs who are accredited by the ARRL/VEC may work with any ARRL/VEC VE Teams where needed.
It is strongly suggested that VE Teams have more than three examiners signed up for each session. If only three VEs are slated to work the session and one doesn't show up, the session cannot be conducted. If a team is short of VEs, feel free to contact the VEC office for assistance in locating additional ARRL accredited volunteers.

Exam Materials
After a VE Team registers a session (and about 15 days before the day of the examination) the VEC office will send the package of materials that the team will need (during busier times, the lead time may be shorter). The materials include NCVEC 605 forms, candidate rosters, registration forms for future sessions, the written test booklets, candidate answer sheets, test answer keys, postage-paid mailers and other items (explained in detail in the coming chapters). Although the quantities of the materials included in the package are limited, they are usually sufficient to get the team and its session started. When you receive the package from the VEC, open it immediately and inspect the contents to confirm that you have received everything you require for the session.

The ARRL/VEC needs to know what test materials are needed at least 20 days before the test date so that its staff can use the least expensive reliable courier service available to deliver the materials to the Liaison. If you give less lead time, the ARRL/VEC is forced to use more expensive courier services. This not only increases an already large postage bill, but it also decreases the chances of correcting any problems during the packaging of the shipment. It is also simply not fair to the hundreds of VE Teams that work hard to provide adequate notice of their testing needs.
The ARRL/VEC will always supply its VE Teams with whatever materials they need--even if overnight service (the most expensive) is required to get the package there--but we will not do it routinely.
To register your upcoming test dates and locations, fill out the ARRL/VEC Session Registration / Request for Test Materials Form and mail or FAX to ARRL/VEC or use the Registration Form Template found on our Web site at www.arrl.org/arrlvec/testregistration.html and email to vetests at arrl.org.

Now, this might be just the first time, or to get materials, but it would seem wise to announce/register the first exam to get the materials.

The process for you guys who upgrade is basically :

1. Take your test, get your Call in the FCC database as General or higher.
2. Send in your ARRL application with the openbook answer sheet (In the ARRL VE manual) and get your VE badges.
3. Schedule the test with the ARRL, get the materials.
4. Profit.

Depending on how quickly you all get your applications in, we could have a NB VE group in a little over a month I think. (The ARRL isn't the fastest group around)

73 de K6EF