[CQ] EMERGENCY ‐ AMATEUR RADIO NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

Drew Smith drew at riotnrrd.com
Wed Jun 26 05:06:16 UTC 2013

Bruce,

As a new-ish ham, but a twenty-five year veteran internet user, I know what I want to use ham radio for. With luck, I will be a ham radio operator for the next fifty years.

I understand exactly why the laws were put into place - the idea that someone could send an encrypted message instantly to the other side of the world must have been terrifying to governments during the world wars. Let's not lose track of the fact that an eight-year-old can now do that. The world has changed; these laws are no longer appropriate, and the idea that the laws are keeping bad guys out is as preposterous as the idea that making a new law against internet piracy will stop people from downloading movies and MP3s. The answer to the problem of enforcement is less laws, not more.

I understand this: ham radio is for amateurs to experiment with interesting technology. The future of that interesting technology absolutely involves computers, and almost everyone with a drive to experiment with linking computers together to do interesting things recognizes the value - no, the necessity - of encryption.

Cheers,
- Drew.

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew at riotnrrd.com>, VA7DSX / VE0TF