[CQ] EMERGENCY ‐ AMATEUR RADIO NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Jun 26 05:13:25 UTC 2013

On 06/25/2013 10:06 PM, Drew Smith wrote:
> the idea that someone could send an encrypted message instantly to the
> other side of the world must have been terrifying to governments
> during the world wars.
Yes, but I wasn't considering a historical reason. I was thinking about
the shared nature of the Amateur frequencies. If you camp on a frequency
with an encrypted station, and use encryption that locks out all but
your chosen group out of the system, it's not a shared frequency any longer.

I am not objecting to authentication, and you can do that within today's
rules. But encryption for the purpose of obscuring information from
others? I can't see how that would be a benefit to Amateur Radio.

And I'm not understanding the exact reason why networking experimenters
would really need it. If you're doing something that you have to hide,
why would it belong on ham radio at all?

     Thanks

     Bruce