[Cyborg] lasers stuck in customs

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 17:48:55 UTC 2010

Our lasers have been halted in Ontario California (near LA) for 6 days.
  I called UPS to see what's up and they confirm that "Import Scan"
means that they gave the package to US Customs, and US Customs is
sitting on it.

The UPS guy said that currently customs is not requiring any information
in order to release the package, but that if they did require some
information they would contact me.

He couldn't give me any kind of time frame to release, or even an
'average time' that packages spend in customs, apparently it varies
widely.  He also said there is no way for me (or even him!) to reach
customs and ask what is going on, he kept repeating over and over that
"it's a government agency", as if that was where the buck stopped. It's
a dumb line, but I guess the government here is pretty dumb.

Anyway, he did say that when it clears customs there will be a change of
status on the tracking page, it'll either say "Departure Scan" or maybe
even "Cleared Customs".  So we will probably get a days notice that our
lasers are moving again before they actually get here.

In the mean time, I'm sorry if people are upset that our lasers are not
here - I'm upset too.  I'm super excited to make stuff with them, and
this waiting is hard.  I'll send another message when I see the status
change, or you can watch it yourself: 1ZV8631R0497737474

Eric