[Cyborg] tiny haptic actuators

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:36:44 UTC 2010

The idea of using tiny solenoids instead of pager
motors came up today.  Here is a solenoid in a
TO-5 package, but at 1/2" by 1/2", it's still not
small enough (found using "worlds smallest
solenoid" as search term)
http://www.lineelectric.com/solenoids/wssolenoid.html

I also found this interesting gaming vest that
simulates being shot (solenoid in the side),
knifed (vibration motors on shoulder blades), or
injured (Peltier junctions)
http://iroboticist.com/2010/03/26/tgv/

That got me thinking: rather than injury
simulation, I think what game players would prefer
is a way of getting additional information about
the state of the game through haptics.  Perhaps
northpaw ankle bracelet could be repurposed to
point towards the nearest teammate or visible game
opponent?  As we agreed, HUDs are challenging to
use in a first-person shooter (operator overload),
but perhaps an ankle bracelet that vibrates only
when there's a teammate in front of you (so you
don't shoot them) would be a sellable product?
Serious gamers are willing to spend hundreds of
dollars to get an edge.  Jus' sayin'...

Instead of a solenoid, I'm thinking a
piezoelectric material might be a better choice
for small size, and also lends itself better to
arrays:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroactive_polymers

Lots of possibilities here... l have some PVDF
(good piezoelectric polymer) lying around, will be
it to the next sensebridge meeting to play around
with.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with other
small haptic actuators?

     Tomm