[Cyborg] eyeborg

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 18:54:26 UTC 2010

Rob Spence is an Eyeborg.  He lost his right eye due to an accident with
a gun, and he's now working on a project to have a fake eye which
contains a wireless camera.  He wants to make documentary films using
this eye-camera.

http://singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com/the-eyeborg-rob-spence-on-singularity-1-on-1/

Some notes from the podcast:

He says he also has a laser pointer eye!

Eyes supposed to be the window into the soul, not the window into
youtube :-). "eye contact" is a very intimate part of being human, so
changing eyes is a big deal.  Film made from his eyeborg camera "glances
around and blinks"... a very different aesthetic from regular film.
BUT, we've already gotten used to shaky hand-held films ("blair witch
project"), will we get used to this as well?

The audio/video of the interview includes some instant messaging sounds,
very confusing, I kept looking at my computer to see where the messages
were...

Guy with USB finger prosthetic: wants to team up with him, and give him
a microphone finger!!

"Unlike you puny humans, I can upgrade my eye!"

"In general I think the post-human is going to be bio-engineered"

They talk about the singularity for quite awhile.

"You're compelled to put as much of you out into the world as
possible... that's why you want to have sex" (rather a male view?!?)

"the internet is potentially skynet" (or as I would say: the bits are
coming for your brain)

"I didn't make this camera to become a cyborg... I'm just a film maker
with a whole in his head"

His website:
http://eyeborgproject.com/

"Resistance is futile!"

His engineer guy is also interesting:
http://www.iamkosta.org/blogit/?p=751

"I live on couches.  I'm a traveling engineer.  I build things for people."

That's an awesome life!

Eric