[Cyborg] fluid dress

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:39:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://laughingsquid.com/fluid-dress/
>
> It's awesome.  I thought perhaps they were using glow-in-the-dark fluid,
> but actually it's a UV-reactive ("blacklight") fluid.

like Woolite?

> The dress isn't very wearable though - first, it's rather transparent,
> so the model would have to expose herself a little, and second, that
> pumping rig is clearly large, heavy and power intensive.  But I love the
> idea of using tubing and colored fluids, and I totally think you COULD
> build a wearable garment, perhaps a hat?

Flexible lines, fish pump (no air gaps) or a compressor, resevoir and valve
switching.

The real trick is in the fluid changing - especially because over time
> the boundary where the fluids change will become mixed.  I wonder if you
> could devise something that would flow in the tube along with the fluid
> at the boundary between fluids and help slow the mixing?

Is it using air gaps as separators?  I only watched once but it seems like
air gaps and a compressor for flow control.

Is there a sorting sensor at the input?  Heard of stuff like this in water
control dishwashers.

Are the pump actuators loud?  What are the machine noises at the end of the
video?

-rma