[Cyborg] exoskeleton

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 15:17:29 UTC 2010

Raytheon XOS 2 Exoskeleton – A Wearable Robotics Suit
http://feeds.laughingsquid.com/~r/laughingsquid/~3/Pp9zvPHQ6i8/

This stuff is actually making progress!  It's been a dream for like 100
years, but Raytheon has actually built a functioning prototype that
doesn't look horribly uncomfortable to use.  Apparently this second
prototype also requires half of the energy that the first prototype
required (for the same tasks), with a goal of reaching 20% for the next
version.  This is to progress towards an untethered version where the
power would be generated onboard... They also hope to have some of the
tethered variety in the field in 5 years, which I think is the only
timeline I've ever heard for a commercial exoskeleton.  Will they pull
it off?  I wonder how much it'll cost?

Eric