[Cyborg] Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 15:12:19 UTC 2011

http://www.human20.com/dystopian-deus-ex-trailer-is-frighteningly-plausible/

I don't normally play computer games, but I might get suckered into this
one!

Some of you might have read my post about the movie Limitless - there is
a part in this trailer that really reminded me of it.  They talk about
how in order to maintain your augmentations, you have to keep taking
their drugs for the rest of your life (presumably it's some kind of
immunino suppressant or something of that ilk), and how ultimately the
manufacturers have the ability to "turn off your arms, turn off your
eyes", which is rather terrifying.  There is also the particularly bad
perverse incentive such companies would have to disable your natural
limbs, e.g. via military action or police brutality.

Would you get a (super strong, super fast, totally awesome) robotic
cyborg arm, if it meant taking a moderatly expensive drug for the rest
of your life, and the possibility that some corporation might decide to
turn off your new arm at a critical time of their choosing?

Eric