[Cyborg] adding vector graphics to eagle pcb

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:49:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Adam Skory <a at skory.us> wrote:

> 2011/6/7 Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com>:
> >
> http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/06/adding-vector-graphics-to-eagle-pcb.html
> >
> > I need to test this method with
> > Inkscape, but it *does* export to R13 DXF, so I'd say the odds are
> > looking good.
>
> Just played around with it a bit. It seems easy to add control points
> (nodes); just enter "Edit paths by nodes" mode (F2), select all the
> nodes (clt+A), then click the "Insert new nodes into selected
> segments" button a few times (the number of nodes will double each
> time).
>
> But... when I import into Eagle, it looks good zoomed out, but then I
> zoom in and it looks like a bunch of tiny disconnected straight lines.
> So... I'm missing something I guess! If anyone gets farther, share the
> trick!

I just looked really quickly and the instructions are for Illustrator, which
kind of explain the disconnected straight line problem, and suggest
(indirectly) how to avoid it by creating an image with more resolution than
the output device...

Inkscape  alternative:
http://repraprip.blogspot.com/2011/05/inkscape-to-openscad-dxf-tutorial.html

and a multi-layer dxf plugin for inkscape to add functionality:
http://www.bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html

This "turn a path into a dxf" process helps with many projects, including
using the full spectrum engineering laser engraver at Noisebridge, and
printing HPGL with the H-P wide format pen plotter at Noisebridge, etc. etc.

-rma