[Darkroom] Pictrography 3500

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Oct 14 18:16:06 UTC 2009

Chris Murphy wrote, On 2009/10/14 10:49:
> Well a G4 or G5 would do the job well. It just has to act as an
> interface to the PowerPC PS plug-in. Powermac 7100 (PowerPC 601)
> running macos 9 would be the absolute low end for testing. All of the
> above are approaching free in value.

I was speaking with Miloh last night about this. At Noisebridge we have
a G4 Power Mac or whatever they call it, one of the QuickSilvers that
came out in 2001-2002). It's currently running Debian Lenny and acting
as our greeter machine. I'm more then happy to replace that machine with
something a little more low power and slightly faster for greeting and
then toss it in the darkroom for our usage with this printer. Anyone
know if these guys take 10.5 or not?

> The connector on the printer is most likely a 50 pin centronics D. (I
> haven't studied the printer yet.) You select b/w SCSI 1&  2 in the
> firmware setting on the unit.

Dr Jesus kindly found us a SCSI2 PCI card for this project that should
fit in the G4.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net