[Darkroom] Sink table

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 17:26:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, the original plan would make all of the current shelves
> unnecessary. Given how small the space is, I think that built in
> storage will always be more efficient than furniture. I think it's
> still worth planning to build shelves.

That's a good point (Ben & Kelly!) - and it will probably give us a lot more
counter surface area as a result. I'll plan on the tall shelving unit
vanishing and having it replaced by wall hanging/floating shelves.

> So, one question though, Sean, is there a particular reason that you
> don't mention using the cabinet that the sink is currently resting in?
> I thought it seemed fine. Just needs a countertop. And then we could
> make an adjacent table/counter with storage underneath.

I'm not against using the cabinet that is there - I was just thinking from a
building perspective it would be a little harder since any other tables
would need to be at the same height/level so you don't dump stuff all over
the place in the dark. If it was a single piece countertop, this problem
would go away. Also, I kind of thought the doors on the cabinet would be a
liability for storage (the space would need to be clean enough to allow the
doors to open). However, if the underside of the table was just open, and
items were stacked there on shelving, it would be much easier to access even
though it wouldn't be as pretty. Although we could just rip the doors off
the cabinet, its kind of a waste of doors IMO, especially if that cabinet
can be used in its current form elsewhere in the space (I think Miloh was
eyeing it for the kitchen if we didn't need it).

> If we actually have the manpower and resources to go ahead with this,
> it might be worth having a small work meeting. I'm around.

This sounds like a good idea. How's Tuesday the 10th sound after the NB
member meeting? I think it just needs to be a 30 minute diggity to get some
ideas out there for anyone that is interested. Sound OK?