[Darkroom] Sink table

Ben Rupert meowdip at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 23:58:24 UTC 2010

So the vinyl sink is probably okay for most things that would be safe to do
in the darkroom.  It's stable to most common acids and bases in reasonable
concentrations and most moderately strong oxidizers like peroxides.  It has
terrible performance for organic solvents, but I wouldn't recommend using
most of them in the darkroom anyway.  Those require a fume hood, not just a
well ventilated room.  The only solvents that would be reasonable to use in
that room which vinyl is incompatible with are acetone, ethanol and
isopropanol. The first and last are nail polish remover and rubbing alcohol,
respectively and I assume that you all know what sorts of things you find
ethanol in.  These will pretty much dissolve the sink.  On the other hand
the stainless steel will be stable to these but eventually corrode with acid
or bases.  Although this can be minimized by pouring these solutions into a
stream of running water to dilute them (although I donlt know if we can pour
these down the drain at all or need to collect them in chemical waste
bottles and dispose of them separately).
   I am not strongly opposed to the vinyl sink since we can probably figure
out other ways to deal with those few solvents which might destroy it.  I
think the size might be an issue though, that space is really tight.

Ben