[Darkroom] want? Daguerréotype

Audrey Penven audrey at lostinthenoise.net
Sat Jan 30 01:12:24 UTC 2010

That camera is a wooden box with a lens on it.  There's nothing too
special about a Daguerreotype camera.  At Rayko, they've done
Daguerreotypes in a normal large format camera.  The film holder was
modified to hold the metal plate.  As long as you have a way of
sticking the metal plate in the camera in the correct place, you've
got a Daguerreotype camera.  That "way" could be as janky as just
taping it on.  It's not at all elegant, but it would totally work.

If anyone wants to do Daguerreotypes, I highly recommend talking to
Michael Schindler at Rayko.  I think it's an awesome process, but I
don't at all have the bandwidth to lead a group in doing them.  It's a
highly toxic process, involving mercury vapor as the developer.  I
hear that if you do it wrong, it sucks a whole lot more than cyanide
poisoning.  So do it!  but be careful!

- Audrey