[Digitalarchivists] Noisebridge DIY Book Scanner

newmy51 at gmail.com newmy51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:20:20 UTC 2013

Jude, Daniel & Noisebridge DA-List,

I'm still out of state, but finally at a computer fit for writing emails
which my limited patience for dinky touchscreens will not permit.

Those software tweaks sound like an excellent fit for our purposes, and
perhaps kit scanners worldwide, as internet connectivity is not necessarily
a guarantee in all scanning circumstances.  It's also nice to know that one
or more components of the archive.org hardware/software suite are
retoolable at all.  Can that be taken to mean that these things are
entirely open source?  If so, is there publicly available documentation
detailing this equipment and the software behind it?  One of the end goals
of Noisebridge's book scanning endeavors is, loosely put, to develop
hardware, software and operation standards to which all other hackerspaces
and their scanners can adhere.  From conversations so far with both Daniel
and IA people, that appears to be a shared goal.

I can't personally make a trip to Richmond until at least a few days after
I get back (20th), as I'll be moving my life out of one San Francisco
hobble and into another.  We do have several folks in our ranks who have
expressed a willingness to travel, whether to the Archive, Ace Monster
Toys, etc.  I'll leave it to them to speak up if that's a trip one or more
are willing/able to make.  Purely out of self interest, I propose that
meeting take place closer to the end of this month or the beginning of
next, so as to remain as personally involved as possible.

We haven't settled on a Powershot model as of yet.  That search was ongoing
until news came of being loaned Canon DSLRs from the Books dept. at IA. I
assume our "beta testing" will benefit from the use of more than one camera
model.  Seems like we ought to seek out Powershots just to have on hand.
 Do you, Jude, or other Books people have any insights into the merits of
one model or another?  I've done my own exploring/conversating in this
DIYBookScanner
thread <http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2569> but
there does not seem to be a consensus on a single gold standard so far.

With all the developments as of late, we (the Noisebridge Digital
Archivists group) are definitely due for another general meeting.  That
will likely be the first order of business upon my return to SF, post-move.
 I'll send out another dispatch once the date's been set.  I extend to you,
Jude, the same invitation I have to Daniel, which is to Skype into that
meeting and/or simply subscribe to the DA mailing
list<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Digital_Archivists> if
you'd like to stay extra-current with our goings on.

With great anticipation,

-Danny N.