[Digitalarchivists] Update

newmy51 at gmail.com newmy51 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 01:49:37 UTC 2015

Lots of info.  Will try and keep it brief:

I am ordering all the various missing parts, including cameras (found a
possibly too-good-to-be-true deal on Canon's website on refurbished
A2500s), for the Reetz 2.0 scanner, and will soon have a full tally of
expenditures to date.  I'm not asking that anyone pony up any cash now or
anytime in the future, but those of you reading this who constitute the
"core crew" (myself, Dany Q, John, Andrew) have, in the past, expressed an
interest in sharing costs, and indeed have already pitched in on the first
Reetz scanner.  The bookkeeping I do will just be to keep track and give
anyone the opportunity to monetarily contribute who wants to, nothing
more.  More on that soon.

Second, those of us who have been following the build instructions for the
Reetz 2.0 scanner (hopefully) read the part about Daniel retiring, or at
least heard me mention it.  It's true, it's sad, and it makes sense.  See
the official thread on that retirement here:

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3161

A man by the name of Jonathon Duerig (http://jonathonduerig.com/) is taking
over.  All orders are now being shipped out of Salt Lake City via Tenrec
Builders.  Jonathon is currently taking pre-orders for Reetz 2.0 kits,
currently listed at $1200 a pop, which gives you an idea of what a nice guy
Daniel is for sending us 95% of one for nothing more than the cost of
shipping.  If Jonathon does not get enough pre-orders to fund the first
batch of 25 kits in the pre-order window (unknown duration), the assembly
line will go quiet, perhaps for good.  I would like to try and get the word
out to keep Daniel and Jonathon's very good thing going.  I figure we owe
them at least that much.

This coming Tuesday is the next MSSF council meeting, at which time a
decision will be made about the society library.  If they go for
Noisebridge as the new location, I will have to start planing the move and
install, as well as a secure storage alternative to the society's enormous
locking wooden cabinets.  I welcome and encourage any and all entirely
optional help on that front.

Lastly, it's high time we ramp/clean up our wiki, which I believe we can
certainly accomplish with the resources present among the current group
members.  That alone could be a meeting's worth of work.

So who's up for Wednesday?

-Danny