[Digitalarchivists] Fwd: Using the amazing tool first time

Hiroshi Usui hiroshi.x.usui at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:16:54 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hiroshi Usui <hiroshi.x.usui at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Digitalarchivists] Using the amazing tool first time
To: Davis Xie <davis.gh.xie at gmail.com>

Hi DX,

I'm not part of the official team of people (Digitalarchivists) that work
on the bookscanner, but I contribute(d) a little bit—edited snippets of the
python files to account for image rotation and continuous scanning. Last
year, I contributed the ./QTGPhotoinfo implementation for liveview, and
also wrote the instructions. I assume that the instruction packet and
./QTGPhotoinfo are the same as when I left them. I haven't visited
Noisebridge in about 8 months due to school, so I don't know what has
changed since then. I'm having trouble finding my Word document for the
instructions, and I fear I may have (very stupidly) lost or deleted it. I
think I can help you by memory.

What kind of error are you getting from running ./QTGPhotoinfo? Any time I
had a problem trying to start it, I would switch the two USB cords (of the
cameras). I'm not sure why it is this way, but I didn't have time to
implement it better. If you can at least see the interface pop up, I think
that's a good first sign. If it isn't, make sure you plug in one USB cord
at a time, and try both USB ports. After you're able to get a liveview feed
for the first camera, then you can plug in the other camera, and then run
./QTGPhotoinfo on a separate terminal. You have to press a certain button
on the interface before the video comes up.

You actually don't need to use ./QTGPhotoinfo for taking the actual
pictures, as I'm sure you already figured out by using the python files,
but it saves a lot of time in adjusting the zoom of the DSLRs and if you
have to swap out books. I'm unhappy that I wasn't able to fully optimize
that process, and would like to revisit it—but that being said, I'm
arguably the most experienced user of the entire process of getting a book
directly from hard copy, to a processed digital PDF with page numeration,
automatic crops, making all images the same page size, etc. I estimate that
I've spent 30 to 35 hours of continuously scanning books on the
bookscanner, and an extra 10 hours dedicated to finding a good way to
process the image files and organize them all into a usable PDF.

I can run the whole process—even post‒bookscanning—through with you, but
since I'm in Berkeley, I'm not at Noisebridge regularly. Let me know if you
can get cameras' liveviews to work.

Hiroshi