[Digitalarchivists] Book scanner status and guide

Marc Juul marc at juul.io
Fri Dec 15 21:41:41 UTC 2017

Hi Archivists!

Yesterday I successfully scanned a book with the noisebridge book scanner!

Thanks for making it available and for the very nice python script :)

I wanted to let you know that the computer hooked up to the book scanner is
not booting up. I can get into the bios and the harddrive is detected but
nothing happens after POST.

One of the cameras was also not powering up and was misaligned and
misconfigured. I fixed the camera issues and simply ran the python script
on my laptop and everything worked perfectly!

I wrote up a guide in the form of a Scuttlebutt post:

https://viewer.scuttlebot.io/%256Gg5xkQJ3cMOrhwIZIFDtfJBx8xdlS11U7qSHNWyqIg%3D.sha256

I will stick the relevant info on the noisebridge wiki as well at some
point. I have more books to scan so will be refining the process as I go.

I also wrote up some stuff on expired copyrights in the U.S. which might be
interesting to some:

https://viewer.scuttlebot.io/%25nuMqNwoclvtLc%2BWGqtcY%2FeRTvln0yGv6aIiwpCvZgh0%3D.sha256

I would love to hear suggestions for how to improve my post-processing
workflow! Especially the dewarping and conversion to epub seem to be not
working optimally.

--
marc/juul