[Digitalarchivists] [sudo-discuss] I want to establish a book scanner at Sudo room or in Oakland

newmy51 at gmail.com newmy51 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 18:43:46 UTC 2017

Hey Folks,

Always glad to hear of more interest in book scanning.  Just wanted to
"swoop in from Berlin," as they say, to remark on the specialness of the
Reetz 1.0 scanner.  This is what was written to the last space (Double
Union) who were thinking of borrowing it:

The scanner in question was the first DIY Book Scanner kit
<https://web.archive.org/web/20130302002026/http://diybookscanner.myshopify.com/products/diy-book-scanner-kit>
offered
by Daniel Reetz starting in 2012 (hereafter referred to as Reetz 1.0).  We
bought ours for $495 plus tax and S&H in April of 2013.  The unit was the
product of more work, willpower and idea exchange than I could possibly
summarize here, though Daniel himself offers an abbreviated rundown
<http://www.diybookscanner.org/archivist/indexaaae.html?page_id=29> on the
current website.  The unabbreviated history is written in the archive of
the diybookscanner.org forums, the original Instructables project
<http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-High-Speed-Book-Scanner-from-Trash-and-Cheap-C/?ALLSTEPS>,
the many <https://www.wired.com/2009/12/diy-book-scanner/> articles
<http://www.businessinsider.com/daniel-reetz-diy-book-scanner-2013-2> that
catapulted the project to international attention, in between the folds of
Daniel's voracious, odds-defying, rapid-prototyping brain, and perhaps in
the pages of some future book on the subject (which we will scan on one of
the Reetz scanners, so meta).  It was also the direct basis for the
Internet Archive's "Table Top Scribe
<https://archive.org/details/tabletopscribesystem>" system, clandestinely
constructed during a period in which we were lead to believe that our
scanner was being retrofitted to integrate seamlessly with IA servers.  A
spontaneous visit to an open Friday lunch happened to give us front row
seats to the black cloth unveiling of that unit, whose duplicitous origins
<https://forum.diybookscanner.org/viewtopic.php?t=3098> have never been
fully acknowledged.

While it may not be immediately apparent to anyone eyeing the Reetz 1.0 in
whatever corner of Noisebridge it currently occupies, this unit is much,
much more than the sum of its CNC-milled parts.  As the owners, assemblers
and operators of both this and the newer "Archivist
<http://diybookscanner.org/archivist/>" scanner (which we call Reetz 2.0),
we'd like for whomsoever responsibility of this equipment be transferred
to, temporarily or permanently, bear that history in mind and make a
concerted effort to ensure its safety and security.

The last thing I'd ask is that if ever it's not being used or not being
treated excellently, it be returned to Noisebridge, just as if that were to
happen at Noisebridge, it would be returned to me.  Collecting different
flavors of hackerspace dust is a cruel fate for such a storied instrument.
If no one has any use or love for it, I always will.

Best from "Berlin,"

-Danny