[Fab] Laser room ventilation

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Fri Mar 11 04:53:35 UTC 2011

I think the best way to increase the venting of fumes from the laser would
be to increase the power and size of the fan attached to the end of the
exhaust duct and move the end of the duct further away from the windows,
maybe even down to the ground outside.

Adding an intake to the room would simply force fumes in to the common
areas, and while another exhaust fan would vent fumes from inside the room,
venting the laser itself with more authority would solve the problem from
the source.

The only time we would want to vent less from the laser would be if the
venting caused problems with results.  If this were the case, then in both
cases, we should vent the laser and the room with ducts that dropped toward
the ground outside of the space.

In all cases, the fan needs to be at the end of the exhaust because fans
will become ineffective if there is too much back pressure.  The blades will
just slap at the air.

We could use blowers if dropping ducts with fans toward the ground is not an
option.