[formal-methods] Injective, Surjective, and Bijective functions

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 03:35:28 UTC 2009

I find un-cited definitions un-compelling evidence.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to argument, and read proofs. But for
appeals to authority, I would like citation.

As to the issue at hand, it seems trivial to say that injection abstracts to
monomorphism and surjection abstracts to epimorphism. Awody's book (Category
Theory) makes this claim on page 25. What I haven't seen anywhere, and I've
looked, is a claim that it is incorrect to say that injection and surjection
are synonyms for their more general concepts.

Jason suggests that this is merely a cultural or political distinction.

Crutcher Dunnavant <crutcher at gmail.com>