[formal-methods] Injective, Surjective, and Bijective functions

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 10:04:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson
<mik at stanford.edu>wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Crutcher Dunnavant wrote:
>
>> I find un-cited definitions un-compelling evidence.
>>
>> I'm perfectly willing to listen to argument, and read proofs. But for
>> appeals to authority, I would like citation.
>>
>> As to the issue at hand, it seems trivial to say that injection abstracts
>> to monomorphism and surjection abstracts to epimorphism. Awody's book
>> (Category Theory) makes this claim on page 25. What I haven't seen anywhere,
>> and I've looked, is a claim that it is incorrect to say that injection and
>> surjection are synonyms for their more general concepts.
>>
>> Jason suggests that this is merely a cultural or political distinction.
>>

> I cannot recall having ever seen a textbook or article explicitly state
> that it is improper to use injection and surjection in the stead of
> monomorphism or epimorphism. I simply do not have a citation for a statement
> like that. There are simple examples, however, that indicate its
> impropriety.
>
> I have never ever seen injection and surjection used in a context that is
> not dealing with enriched sets (concrete categories). I could agree to call
> it a cultural distinction. But as such it is a very strong cultural
> distinction.
>
> As for appeals to authority - where did you feel I made that? I could
> probably dig up a citation or three for the definitions I've been issuing,
> but I don't have my full mathematics library around since I'm traveling all
> summer, and would have to spend time in the university library digging up a
> book that carries it. All the definitions I have been giving are quite
> standard - might even be on Wikipedia.

I'm learning this material for the first time. This isn't a refresher for
me, nor do I have a background in abstract algebra.

I'm not being pedantic, I simply can't accept un-sourced definitions. Its
hard enough keeping up with the material I have attribution for, and working
my way through.

But I'm going to keep at it, because there are specific things I'd like to
apply this material to, and I need the background.

> Actually, checking that, the idea that monomorphisms generalize injections
> but that the generalization is strictly larger than the initial concept,
> does get discussed on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomorphism
> where among other things, it is stated:
>
>> It is not true in general, however, that all monomorphisms must be
>> injective in other categories. For example, in the category Div of divisible
>> abelian groups and group homomorphisms between them there are monomorphisms
>> that are not injective: consider the quotient map q : Q → Q/Z. This is
>> clearly not an injective map; nevertheless, it is a monomorphism in this
>> category.
>>

> Also, in Barr&Wells: Category theory for the computing science, it is given
> as an example the case of monoids and monoid homomorphisms, a category in
> which the inclusion map N -> Z is an epimorphism. This map, however, is not
> a surjection, so forms a counterexample to the corresponding claim - that
> surjection is an improper synonym for epimorphism.
>
> Is this more compelling, or would you need me to go visit the local
> university library?
>
> So yes, these are more compelling arguments.

However, I have an objection I can't really defend (lacking enough category
theory, or familiarity with either Div or monoids). You say that these maps
are not injective or surjective; but I think one could argue that the
definition of sur and injective you are familiar with is best kept within
Set; and that these in fact _are_ sur and injective examples, in their
categories. This would be consistent with other changes, such as "what is an
object", or "what does composition mean".

But at this point, I really must concede. I simply don't know enough to
continue this discussion.

--
Crutcher Dunnavant <crutcher at gmail.com>